What will playing Vince do?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by tex-titan, Oct 8, 2009.

?

What does playing Vince prove?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2009.
  1. Vince is awesome and will prove it from the first game.

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Vince will prove he just needed a little more time to develop.

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. I have no idea but I hate losing !

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. Vince will prove he isn't any better than Kerry.

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. It will prove the Vince sucks and will never be a quality NFL QB.

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kramien

kramien Camp Fodder

Deuce Wayne has over 10,000 posts, you have just over 100. I assume Deuce is a big Titans fan, but just very frustrated after going from 13-3 to 0-4. What he states seems pretty fair to me.

How did the defense get so bad so fast?? Haynesworth make that big a difference?? Titans D last year was very good.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

Ah, yest...the lousy TD/INT ratio. Of all the criticisms that can be levied at Young (and there are plenty) you've singled out the one argument that is just downright shortsighted.

The TD:INT ratio is a reflection not only of Vince's performance, but the performance of his receivers, as well.

When a well-thrown TD pass hits a receiver in the hands or chest and bounces off.....the QB is not the problem. By my count, this happened at least 6-8 times in '07; Titans receivers dropped almost as many TD's as they caught. (News flash: when receivers are dropping 40-50% of the TD's that are in their hands.....the QB isn't the problem.)

When a QB puts a ball in the air and expects his receiver to make a play, but the receiver just stands there and watches as the DB takes the ball away from him....that's not just on the QB. The receiver deserves just as much blame, if not more. But when it shows up on the stat sheet, guess who gets full credit for the INT?

Each of these scenarios has a direct negative impact on the TD:INT ratio...and in 2007, we saw plenty of both of them. Was Vince bad? Absolutely....and on a number of levels.

But of all the criticisms that have been levied at him, the TD:INT ratio is the one area where the piss-poor receiving corps deserves every bit as much blame as Vince. But since Vince is the only one listed on the stat sheet, he's the one who gets thrown under the bus for it.

3. Nine

Nine Starter

Congratulations! You've just asked the $64,000 question!

Losing Haynesworth certainly didn't help....but if there's one area of the defense that has done their job and played well, it's the D-line. Even without Big Al, they're still one of the top run defenses in the league....and with nine sacks in four games, they're actually one ahead of the Steelers, Giants, and Patriots. They're getting good pressure, and they're still putting a beating on opposing QB's. But unfortunately, that only goes so far.

The biggest issue by far has been the poor play of the secondary, coupled with poor coverage by the linebackers. The D-line is generating a good pass rush; unfortunately, the coverage is so poor, it only takes opposing QB's 2-3 seconds to find an open receiver, which gives the pass rush very little time to do anything.

It's not like these guys are bad players; last year they consistently blanketed opposing receivers...and when guys did catch the ball, they were taken down almost immediately. Three members of the secondary went to the Pro Bowl, and Michael Griffin's 7 INT's were second only to Ed Reed.

This year it's the exact opposite. Receivers are running wide-open through the secondary....and when they make a catch, they're consistently picking up huge yards after the catch. It's like the entire back seven is playing in quicksand.....always 2-3 steps behind the action, never where they need to be.

If it was just one or two guys having a down year, okay. But when the entire secondary goes from one of the league's best to the league's worst in a single offseason with the exact same personnel.....the players aren't the only problem. It's just a symptom of a bigger issue.

I won't pretend to be a coach, and I'm hardly an expert on coverage schemes...but when I see such a wholesale collapse in such a short period of time, the first place I look is the coaching.

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

We're losing. I don't see us improving with EITHER QB. However, at this point, I'd rather see Vince Young starting from here on out so we can watch how he does. I don't mean one game. I want to see how he rebounds after a loss. I've seen people do very poorly one day, but when given a second chance, they improve - or remain the same. Only thing is... we really haven't seen this opportunity for Vince.

He was replaced last season after the first game... then we didn't see him until the last game.

And don't even attempt to argue the Preseason games as being his second and third attempts... absolutely not the same thing. I want to see him in with the starters and see how he reacts when allowed.

Hey, if he folds up and doesn't improve one iota in multiple games... then we'll know what we truly drafted. At this point, we have no idea what we drafted, because practice doesn't count.

5. matou98

matou98 Camp Fodder

Doh, of course it is.

Poor, poor Vincey is a 1st round pick. He should be a starter IMO

6. The_Jerr83

The_Jerr83 Camp Fodder

You assume to much. Post count don't mean jack. All it means is that he has been here longer than any of us, but doesn't mean he is more of a Titans fan than any of us.

To answer your question I believe it has to do with the coaching. Its simply Cecil is not getting it done. Haynesworth is part of the downfall, but Cecil is not drawing up plays that is giving any kind of pass rush/pressure.

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Ehh, I'd really like to see what Vince can do now. I'm not denying anything critical that all of his critics have said about his play. He hasn't played well, we all know that.
    But I did see a little improvement from him during the PS. I think he's also matured a little bit; if from nothing else other than Mac9's death (which would hopefully put things into perspective for him). I also think he hasn't had his second chance yet...and he deserves one.
    Now, if he stinks it up this time again, then I'll be the first in line to say let him go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar