What will people say when Vince is gone...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanite, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanite

Titanite Pulling for VY...Sue me.

and the 8-8-ness continues?

It's like we try to blame all of the past 5 years of failure squarely on Vince's shoulders, but if (more like when) Vince is booted and Fisher stands alone by another 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 season, who then will be to blame?

Who is Fisher's next scapegoat?

Or maybe he won't need one? His apparent greatness has alleviated the pain of continued mediocrity before. Maybe it will do so again?

I don't know. I just wonder what other people think.

Do you want Fisher gone if the Titans continue to be mediocre with him there and Vince shipped out?

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I don't see the last 5 years as failure.

'the Diva' has provided some quality wins. That drive to beat Arizona was one for the ages.

By your standard 31 teams should have failing seasons every year with only 1 winner. That is unrealistic.

Titans won a Championship their third year in Tennessee and have played in the AFC-Championship game on more than 1 occasion. Fisher, despite his lack of recent PO success, has been the HC of some really good Titans teams.

We all wish he could have followed thru on some of those 13-3 seasons, those don't dome around that often. Only 3 times in the last decade.

3. Titanite

By my standard, every team that doesn't make the playoffs and win a game are utter failures. By definition of what you set out to do at the start of the season (if your goal is to win a SB and not just to show some signs of life, we're not talking Detroit Lions here) 31 teams are indeed failures by the end.

What I'm saying is, where do our failures leave Fisher? Will responsibility for the team finally be thrust on him once the scapegoat diva is gone?

And a Conference Championship just means you're in at least 2nd place and even that was over a decade ago...

And I know teams can go decades without even being regular season competitors, but those teams don't start on the same path every year expecting it to lead to a different destination than the year before. They at least recognize that something needs to change.

The Titans have been in the same place on the same road for 16 years.

Will it ever be time to take a different path?

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

What will I say when Vince is gone? Good riddance.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Titanite

That's all good and well, but what if that doesn't solve the problem?

What if Vince isn't what has been holding this team back from greatness after all? Potshots at him would be worth even less than they are now. Then what?

6. Fry

Getting rid of Vince is not going to alleviate things immediately. In fact, it will probably get worse before it gets better. But long-term, it's best for the franchise.

He's not a franchise quarterback and never will be. He's an average passer who doesn't use his legs anymore. We need to not only pay his salary but we also need to have a top-flight backup because he can't be counted on to last a whole game, let alone an entire season. His inability to hold on to the football is the most frustrating thing, and it has gotten a lot worse this year. He's replaced the drive-killing picks with drive-killing fumbles.

42 passing TDs, 42 INTs, 12 rushing TDs, 12 lost fumbles. People want to talk about Jeff Fisher's 8-8 records, but that type of performance is the definition of mediocre.

Time to start over.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

So why not get rid of Fisher now since he obviously won't win one any time soon here imo. Next year we let Vince finish out his contract and if he sucks which is possible, we will get a new QB the year after? Unless theres some great QB we could possibly get in the draft this summer why not keep Vince for one more year and see if we can make a playoff run next year without Fisher? His on field play over the past 14 or 15 months really wants me to see if he can get one last chance of a full season. Seems like he is really improving if he can just stay healthy which is a big if obviously.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Fry

Next year is a throw away year anyway you look at it. With no Jeff Fisher, Vince is learning a new playbook, which is not good. With Fisher and a new, presumably young, quarterback also learning a new playbook things will not be good either.

Not only that, but changing the entire coaching staff is going to set back the entire team, especially if we change to a defense that requires different personnel than what we already have.

The difference for me is this: five years from now Jeff Fisher is still going to be in the NFL, chances are Vince Young won't(not starting anyway). That should tell you who should get the benefit of one extra year.

There will be no playoff push next year, with or without Vince.

9. Titanite

I think Fisher has had 11 extra years. Besides, cutting Young won't suddenly turn Fisher into a championship coach. And if we're being honest, Young being out of the league soon seems more like wishful thinking on your part...he's already shown that he can come in and be a bit player for a team. QBs get to stick around in the league even if they are just barely solid because everyone needs a back-up....we have Chris Simms...again.

The people pretending Fisher or VY couldn't get jobs elsewhere are just fooling themselves out of hatred.

10. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

VY is going to be a starter on the next team he signs on, and I'd imagine for the better part of his career from this point on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar