What will be the excuse this week for CJ? (Running game)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Oct 13, 2013.

?
  1. Open-field Speed Decline

13.3%
  2. Burst/Quickness Decline

30.0%
  3. Vision (not seeing holes/cutbacks)

43.3%
  4. Indecisive/Timid (not pressing hole)

36.7%
  5. Looking to Hit Home Run

16.7%
  6. Fear of Being Hit

16.7%
  7. Poor Blocking

63.3%
  8. Poor Coaching (from Crooms)

10.0%
  9. Poor Play-calling (from Loggains)

63.3%
  10. Tough/Stacked Run Defenses

46.7%
  11. No Passing Game (to take pressure off run game)

43.3%
  12. Other

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

He had a few decent games in 2012 but his 2011 season was pathetic. His few long runs boost his average, and he's not the consistent runner he was back in 2008-2010.

He has had a pathetic start to 2013, and if his play doesn't improve, he'll be sent packing before long. It's too much money to pay a guy for past production. Anyone who holds out is a selfish scumbag anyway. He definitely deserved a raise after 2010 and I'm sure our coaching staff was being reasonable with it.

2. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

In this game nothing is guaranteed he could have had an injury and never played another down of football in his life. He was doing what was smart for himself and he did the right thing.

3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

I'd like to think the guy making 8 million dollars more would have a higher ypc.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

scrub is done

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I would like to think CJ would have a higher YPC than what he does, but at the same time I wouldn't expect someone who has 100 carries to have a higher YPC than someone who has 5 carries.

6. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

When the guy getting 100 carries is barely averaging 3 yards a carry, it's time to give the other guy more carries.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Well, of course.

I was just saying that you can't compare the 2 based on YPC..

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Those of you that seriously think that Jackie Battle and Shonn Greene will carry the team on their back are full of it. I understand the argument that CJ isn't living up to his salary but there is no way that either or those guys are better backs than him. CJ is not as replaceable as many of you seem to think he is.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The run game is a huge problem and there isn't one single thing that can fix it. There is plenty of blame to go around. Someone on the OL is frequently missing a block, or a TE or FB isn't making a block, if CJ gets outside he isn't making a CB or S miss, CJ isn't attacking the whole most of the time which causes more problems for the blocking (because then guys have to sustain their blocks longer and gives back 7 players more time to fill the hole or alley). Additionally, the playcalling is sometimes an issue. We never force opponents to cover CJ so schematically they can have a slower run defender theoretically 'covering' CJ. If teams had to worry about WHO was covering CJ (like we had to do with Jamaal Charlers), teams would be having 8 run defenders in the box. It also appears we frequently run the same running plays out of the same formations so it's easier to defend. And I don't see us make some adjustments after I see the defense adjust.

CJ is a space runner and the majority of his carries are aimed between the tackles. Put him on New England or the Saints or Detroit and you'd see him do a lot more damage due to the way those teams scheme plays and formations to get their players in the best position to do damage.

We also rarely use playaction which drives me crazy. And in shotgun, we almost never run (though we did today ONCE). So you're telling the D what is coming. Not good!!!

Frankly, we need Locker back so we can look like Seattle, when the run game isn't working, Locker can run for first downs and big plays to get the offense moving. He also has a stronger arm to take more advantage of defenses playing zone on 1st down.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I do predict that if CJ doesnt attack the hole like he's supposed to, we will see greene get a lot of carries if he's healthy. We may even see a triple threat if Battle isn't seriously injured.

Short of CJ making big plays or getting 20 carries a game, I don't see how they can keep him on the roster next year...and he isn't the only one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar