What to do...but do it soon!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The Titans need to weigh out there options and make moves quickly in those directions.

For example, what are we doing with our new cap money? Is it soley reserved for our rookies and we'll keep the rest (meaning we bring in no more free agents)?

Or are we gonna make some tough cuts and squeeze in a vet or 2?

If we're bringing in a vet or 2...whom and at what position. The first position to be considered is QB. Is Volek our man for this year or do we sign another starter like Kerry Collins. Do we need a backup if we don't sign a new starter? Volek has been a bit fragile and our OL was fairly leaky last year.

And speaking of OL, do we look to bring in a vet OT to help our run game and save our QB's who'll either be a somewhat fragile Volek or an immobile Kerry Collins.

And of course, everyone knows defense wins championships and if we want to get back into the playoffs sooner than later, we need to sure up the D. Yes we brought in Thornton and Hope...but is that enough? Do we go with a bigtime CB instead? Or a talented but coming off injury guy (like Plummer)?

If you were Reese, how would you spend your money? Know that in order to sign anyone, you probably have to make several vet cuts.

Gut

2. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

There's plenty of talent at CB so I don't see any reason to bring in any FA's there. OL and QB are the biggest concerns in my opinion.

3. I'd sign Ahmed Plummer if he comes fairly cheap. Otherwise, I don't think I'd make any more changes immediately.

4. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

The most CRITICAL position is now the OT. However, there may be some unfound talent in Loper. I don't know. I have never really noticed how he plays. If the Titans can prove a strong OL with a much improved defense over last year, I say it will be a good sign. We could at least win the games on the ground if Volek is not performing as I expect he will or injured. FA vet QB signing is not the priority in this offense. The OT situation is. I am having a good feeling about the defense this year. Most fans don't think much of Shwartz, but we've got 2 new players in that defense that know how to play defense well. I am hoping that the experience will rub off and work some magic.

5. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I think the coaches have a lot of faith in either Bell, Loper, or Stewart at RT. If they didn't think any of those three could do it, they would've already brought someone in. (IMO)

6. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

I think the FO should hold off, for a little while, and see how the OTA goes. If help is needed buy someone cheap for depth. This year is a break even season at best. Spend the money on current Vets and front load the contracts as to not be held hostage to the cap later on.

7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

CB: Ty Law probably ain't worth it. While I'd love to have him spend a year with our young guys to help them develop, you know he's gonna want a 3-5 year deal for some serious deniro. And where would that leave lord Reynaldo?;) That's not to say I wouldn't be stoked to see him in a Titans uniform. :brow:

Probably our best bet is to sign some cheaper depth at the position. It's certainly possible.

OT: While I think this our biggest position of need, I just don't see anyone out there right now. Am I missing someone? I would love to get AT LEAST one more OT in here to compete for the job. Preferably someone with some starting experience or whose played with a Pro Bowler. Perhaps we could pick someone up in a Brown trade. Not likely but possible.

QB: Oh man. This is a tough call. We have to sign a guy this week if we're going to. Backup all the way. No way we sign someone to compete with Volek now. Replace him when he goes down week two, yes, but compete with him now? No thanks. Fiedler, Collins, Maddox, Rothlisberger. There's not alot out there. Man I wish we'd snagged Flutie!

As for cuts... the obvious one is Sirmon. Anybody that complains and tries to put themselves above the team can kiss the fattest part of our Titan butts. Start Tulloch or bring in friggin Donnie Edwards. I still would love to see the Thorton-Edwards-Bulluck trifecta.

There you go. Trade Brown for Edwards. Cut Sirmon. Sign Law. Recipe for a top ten Defense. :brow:

8. wg53

wg53 Starter

Anyone that advocates trading Brown is a damn moron. We have no reason to trade our best RB in a year that we aren't going to be doing anything special.

9. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

first off... i hope you are joking about flutie... second... when the heck did ben rothlisberger become available?

10. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Yeah I was just joking. About both of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar