What the Titans need to do NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We needa sign John David Booty. Mostly because he has a sweet last name.

2. TygerNeo

TygerNeo Camp Fodder

They just need to win 1 game so we don't get the nation talking like we is the Detroit Lions of last year!

3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

You better either be female....or 6'6" and mean as hell....

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. george

george Camp Fodder

yeah, it was white that brought this curse upon the team--but fisher who didn't have the balls to give the guys a little talking to regarding RESPECT and class--so the entire team suffers, along with the fans who should be enjoying a great season after last year. Cincinatti had to boot TJ to seattle to begin to rid themselves of the curse--but didn't have the full team participation--this will take alot more effort!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDj6kywTm50

5. onthemove

onthemove Guest

Poor track record, no Lombardi trophies since the merge, plenty of losing seasons with both franchises, two playoff wins since 2000, 'promoting' coaches instead of going to lengths to find a good one and getting out of his comfort zone, giving Fisher 16 years to get it right (with few results save '99 and 2000), and watching this year's misfortunes unravel. Not an impressive resume to say the least.

It's easy just to blame the staff, but it's ridiculous to grant the guy absolution after the BS we've continued to witness on a yearly basis. I for one have had it with watching our team lose nail biters when they matter most, the way the FO treats our players, signing used up FA's who don't perform anymore, and so called winning seasons go for naught. How is Bud not responsible for letting this mess of a coaching staff/office unravel?

It isn't just the staff- who brought them to Tennessee? He plays an equally important role in how to keep the team from completely nose diving. I'd rather he stepped in when he needed to than only do one thing like telling the team he wants Young drafted. Success with a new staff would also be temporary if he remained the owner. The complacency of the fans in having him as our owner is baffling! We deserve better.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Switching to a 3-4 would mean cleaning house probably. Out of our LB's, Tulloch and McRath could probably stay but you'd have to trade Thornton, let Bulluck walk, and let KVB walk. With our current players for DL, you'd need to try what GB is trying and play your 3 DL NOT as blocker eaters but as penetrators since that's the type of players they are.

Then maybe a 3 DL of JJones, Haye, and TBrown with Vickerson rotating in for Haye on pass downs. The biggest problem is 3-4 OLB. You'd need to start teaching Hayes, Ball, and Ford how to cover and make drops and reads. Pitt usually takes a few YEARS to convert DE's to play 3-4 OLB so it'd be hard to get them there in year 1. The good news is, there are more undersized DE's who can learn to play 3-4 OLB than there are premier 4-3 DE's, so we can start stockpiling for the future and have an effective system in a few years. Problem is, how good can the D be in years 1-3? Some have suggested merely having a designated rush olb (lets say Ford) and then play Bulluck, Tulloch and Ford behind them...but all you have done is put up a 4-3 D with 3 DT's and 1 DE. It wouldn't be a real 3-4.

If you want to have a scheme similar to the one Pitt/SD/Jets/Ravens play (dominant), you need one mammoth DL whom would mostly play NT and command dt's. Haye and TBrown could probably play DE so you'd need that super NT via FA or draft. At LB, we could get away with Tulloch and McRath, but we'd need 2 3-4 OLB's. The secondary could remain as is but we'd probably want to upgrade on Harper, so say we need a new CB. In addition, and perhaps most importantly, we'd need a new DC who knows how to run this type of defense - especially if it's a Rex Ryan type attack and movement style D. While Eric Berry would be a great Troy Polamalu clone, we'd need a lot of NEW pieces. Remember, the LB corp is the best unit on a 3-4 D and we'd need some major upgrades for that. I would NOT get Merriman unless he has a monster second half. He hasn't looked like the same player since he's been off the roids and back from injuries. On the other hand, the Steelers are frequently jettisoning high quality LB's, but the real star 3-4 OLB to aquire in FA would be Demarcus Ware.

In principle, I would prefer the Jets style of 3-4 D to any of the D's currently out there and we'd have a tiny chance of snagging there DC, but more importantly is getting a new DC who's excellent and has an excellent system. How fast did Mike Nolan turn around the 49ers D...

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

If we can't get any value for the players...let me alter that...if we can't get more value from a trade than the likely compensatory pick for letting them walk after the season, you don't trade that player. How ever, several teams were looking for help at various spots and it wouldn't hurt to try. I'm pretty sure the Titans aren't really trying, but rather seeing if they can 'fix' there problems and go on a magical 10 game winning streak to make the playoffs.

My point is, none of the players I'm suggesting to trade would have much - if any negative impact on this year.

And btw, how are the Titans NOT exploring trade talks with the Bills who were looking to shop Roscoe Parish, a very good returner and the Browns need a ton of help and have Cribbs - also a good return man. While just an example, it shows the Titans aren't really trying...which is a shame. I mean, the Jets needed a big time WR and they traded for him. He was playing very poorly in Cleveland - but looks again like a star in NY. Smart teams make smart decisions.

Gut

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Gut,
    You bring up some good points, but it kinda puzzles me concerning those points from a player's standpoint. You would think that if this was your job, and you were getting paid an insane amount of money, that you would be a student of the game.
    For example, let's say I was big enough to be a d-lineman. And let's say I was a DE in college and got drafted by a team with a 4-3 offense, as a 4-3 DE. Even though that's the position they drafted me for, I would still be dilligent enough to pretty much study, and even try to practice, all front seven positions and know how to play them. That would also include learning all front 7 positions of a 3-4 defense. But that's just me. I'm a huge fan of versatility...which is why I have so much respect for the 2002-2004 Pats defense. Most everyone on the back 7 of that 3-4 defense knew how to play all 7 positions.
    Just because you get drafted for, and even placed in a certain position, in no way means you can't learn all the other positions.
    In fact, knowing all the other positions on your unit and how to play them, can even make you better at your own position.
    That's why I always get a puzzled look on my face when someone tells me a player is finding it difficult to learn a new postion...particularly one that is on the same unit and kinda close to what they've been playing (i.e. a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 LB). GB's Kampman is a prime example. From my perspective, if he's having that much of a hard time grasping the concept of a position that isn't too far off from what he is currently doing, I question both his learning ability and his knowledge of the game..especially given how long he has been playing the game.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

White has real value because he's looking very good, has good pedigree (former 2nd pick), and was a big time TD hammer last year and shown his first year he can carry a load. We don't need him that badly as Ringer can be CJ's backup and if White can get us a starter back or a pick that turns into a starter, it's better for the franchise. We are not gonna start White, White wants to be paid like a top STARTING RB and that's not gonna happen. Right now, the Titans and White are heading for a mess. He'll be a RFA next year due to the uncapped season and the Titans will tender him at a 1st rnd pick. No one's gonna pay him his money AND a 1st rnd pick and White will either holdout, demand a trade, or both! Both - most likely. So what are you getting back for him? Even if he signs his tender, are his limited number of snaps really that much of a help over what Ringer can do vs having another high quality starting player? I don't think so.

And Hope is a solid player, but he's a big reason for so many of our big plays given up. Going back to last year's playoff game, he's personally not only given up multiple big yardage plays, but he's also not even tackled the guy after he's made the catch. He's making mistakes in every game I've re-watched. He either has slowed to the point where he can no longer make those plays, or he's guessing and guessing wrong a lot and it's costing the defense points. If a team like the Giants gave us decent value, I'd move him. He also is not playing up to his cost and isn't getting younger.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar