What should the Titans do about CJ's contract?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by oilerstruck, May 7, 2010.

?

Who is right?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2010.
  1. CJ has the right to break his legal contract.

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Management should never show good faith and start negotiations with a high performing employee.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Both are wrong and need to change what they are doing now

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  4. Both are right and should continue to ignore what's best for the team.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Why do we have to offer a new contract? Can't we give him some kind of a bonus, say 2-4 mill., and then worry contract after this year?

And a bonus doesn't affect the cap I believe so it would only hurt Adams. Make CJ happy and in camp then worry after this year about an extension.

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

What "should" we do about CJ's contract? Give him some kind of raise. I'm not saying make him the highest paid offensive player but he does deserve a raise.

Now what will we do about CJ's contract? Not a d@mn thing!

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Terrible poll choices.

It's ridiculous to tear up a contract so early. That being said, sooner or later (I'm hoping later), CJ is going to sign a very large extension. Probably right after the new collective bargaining agreement gets worked out. So it could be another 18 months.

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I personally can't do anything about CJ's contract.... but I'll wash his car for him if he breaks 2000y again this year..

5. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

I didn't answer the poll because I don't agree with any of the options. I don't think there exist one person who believes he doesn't deserve a new contract given the 2 years he's had. However, I do think he is pushing for a new one at the wrong time given the 30% rule.

So how should the Titans proceed? Take a page out of the Eagles book. What I would do is give him a new 2 year deal. Structure the contract to give him a large signing bonus, but low salary. This will keep him happy and the ensure that we keep our best player post the uncapped year as he will still be under contract after this season. This will effectively give the Titans the time they need to work on a long term deal that is "fair", what ever that is nowadays in football lol, for both parties.

This is similar to what the Birds did for Kolb.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I dont like what this whole thing is turning into. First it just CJ joking around saying he wanted to be the most paid offensive player. Now the jokes are getting serious. It wouldnt surprise me if it goes as far has a hold out. But i hope CJ loves Football to much to hold out.

Titans will not budge cause now we have enough Rb talent to control the clock which is the titans style of play. CJ's home run ability is just a bonus.

7. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

I actually agree with you defense and special teams aside what killed us last year was CJ's explosiveness hence we scored too quickly and not give our defense enough time to rest.

I do agree he deserves a raise but he's not gonna get not while he's still under his rookie contract; they're gonna do what New England did with Asante Samuel and Vince Wilfork let his contract expire and franchise him as much as they can avoiding paying him guaranteed money which at that point CJ has two choices: sign his tenders and get wore out to the point he turns into Eddie George overnight and we cut him or he holds out and we get a king's ransom for him.

8. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

If I was in Reinfeldt shoes honestly I would ship CJ to Buffalo for the rights to CJ Spiller, Donte Whitner or Ashton Youboty, and a first and third round pick next year. Spiller is suppose to be a CJ clone so why not replace CJ with his clone?

9. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

You normally don't want to do this. Comparisons are made every year between players and who they are most like in the NFL, and rarely do the comparisons hold true.

In short, CJ Spiller albeit a good college player may not become a good NFL football player. Why trade a sure thing for an unknown commodity. I mean I would think the league learned their lesson from Reggis Bush and Darren McFadden. Both of them has had less than stellar careers, and I don't think it's just because of the or system they are in.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

That is beyond stupid.

If we gave anyone CJ, they would have to give us their top 2 players along with two 1st round picks.

I would give up CJ for Adrian Peterson and two 1st round picks. But there are just not many options where getting rid of CJ is a smart decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar