What QB Would Be Best To Bring In To Play And Mentor Locker?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Gradkowski over Carr all day...

2. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Why?

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

He's about as proven as Rusty Smith at this point. I'd rather just let Rusty and Jake battle it out than to bring in a scrub like Carr.

4. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

C'mon man lets discuss for real, you know that Rusty Smith comment isn't true.

Carr is a former number 1 pick who got sacked into submission in Houston but he's a solid NFL back-up with talent and experience.

Carr makes sense as a possibility here because he knows Chris Palmer and his offense very well.
    Carr also has some knowledge of Heimdinger's offense having played for Kubiak.

In this locked-out offseason scheme knowledge is gonna be an even bigger factor then the major role it already plays in FA.
    Well Munch said they want to bring in a veteran QB/mentor.
    And if you consider a NFL back-up/journeyman QB a scrub then most every QB you have a chance to bring will be a scrub.

5. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Carr was terrible. I would take Bulger or Matt. Hopefully Matt.

6. Big Time Titan

My main thing is this, if we're not gonna go after one of the top available QBs like McNabb or Hasselbeck then I'd rather just let Jake start from the jump and have Rusty back him up. I wouldn't be against bringing in Carr strictly as a backup but I still think we could do better. Bulger would make more sense if we were to go that route.

And I understand that you're saying that Carr is familiar with Palmer and whatnot but that's enough for make me to want to sign him.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

There are articles showing there's nothing wrong with throwing a rook QB to the wolves and others that point out all things that could go wrong with that scenario. That said, I don't see anything wrong with sitting a guy for a bit.
    If there's a even a chance playing right away could set him back or even worse, sustain a serious or even nagging injury simply because he is not yet prepared to protect himself for NFL defenses - sit him. Too important of a position to make guesses. Don't pull the cookies out of the oven just because you're hungry this second.
    There are a ton of guys out there who can come in and QB this team in the meantime. Even Rusty if needed.

8. Big Time Titan

Good point. My thinking is that Locker is gonna be our guy so why not make it his starting job to lose. I understand that thinking that he might be injured but this is football we can't be afraid of him getting injured because if it's gonna happen it'll happen.

I would just hate for us to end up in the same situation we had in Vince's rookie season. We sucked it up and then we threw Vince out there. Had he just started from the jump who's to say that we might not have won some of those games that Kerry couldn't. Let's not wait until the season is lost to let him play. Let him learn and work his way through all the growing pains. To me he seems like a really smart kid with high football IQ and there is no doubt he has a strong work ethic. I'm not flat out knocking down the idea of bringing in someone to compete, but I'd rather us either go for a proven QB that can easily start over Locker or just let Locker start.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I think the idea then was that Vince had the tools to jump in on day 1 and use those wheels to be successful and avoid getting crushed - then learn to pass in the NFL over time. Not that Locker doesn't technically have wheels but just not the stuff we all saw in the Texas/USC game..
    If you recall, Vince played as early as Game 1 (Jets) for some downs so I don't think there was ever a doubt Vince was going to be inserted as starter soon.
    Different time, different players and coaches. I just don't want to see Locker get injured by one of these James Harrison types solely because he doesn't have his feet under him in the NFL yet.

10. Big Time Titan

I just feel that Jake has it in him to lead us right out of the gate. That's what I would like to see.

Hasselbeck would be nice, so would McNabb but I can't help but think that we're exactly what they're looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar