What Peyton Manning is doing (and how to beat him)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Peyton yells at the coaches when they don't relay the calls to him fast enough he wants their play opioion before the last play is over.

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

It's necessary for him to get to the line with plenty of time, so that he can do all his reads and communicate his play call to his receivers, running backs and the o-line. He usually gets to the line with 20 seconds to spare, which is quite amazing.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

And I'm telling you there are QBs in the Danish football league who do this (with a smaller playbook and fewer keys but noneless the same concept). Our offence is based of Rich Rodriguez' no-huddle spread offence, and the QB calls the play at the LOS. If he can do it, I'm sure other NFL QB's can too.

However, I will agree with you that Manning has more leeway from his coaches on what to do, because he makes his reads better than anyone else.
    But what he actually does, isn't different or more complex. His reads are just more accurate than most and his choice of plays are better than most.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't deny anything you're saying. The part where I think it differs is that the decisions Manning makes are based on reads that pretty much no other QB can make. It's one thing to see how a defense is lined up and guess what coverage they are playing. It's another thing to go through Manning's fake snap routine and watch for tiny flinches and eye movement, and then cross-reference that with the encyclopedic knowledge of other teams' defenses and down/distance tendencies that he allegedly possesses.

If Danish QBs could do what Manning does, they would be in the NFL (or at least coaching in the NFL).

I agree that there's no reason another NFL quarterback couldn't at least attempt to do what Manning does. The fact that no other team is willing to try it--every other team feels they have a better chance letting the coach make the playcalling decisions--is a testament to just how much more advanced Manning's knowledge and cognitive processing abilities are (when compared to all other QBs, including supposedly cerebral QBs like Brady).

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Doesnt Peyton take less sacks than anyone also? He knows what the defense is bringing and he gets the ball out quick on a blitz. usually to a TE on a fast short route.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Gayton has been know to turn around and bravely run away from a Titan pass rush.

Hes a big suck chicken could be why he takes less sacks.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Peyton must be some kind of Chicken Genius...!!!

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

The gridiron Einstein contemplates the deep lyrics of Kenny Chesney's song "Love Me Tonight"...

[​IMG]

:coltssuk:

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That description isn't right. It's a Colts' fanboy dream of how amazing Manning is.

I'm happy to admit that Manning is the best QB in the NFL right now, and may end up being remembered as the best (if he gets at least another ring), but let's not pretend that we believe that the Colts don't even bother to call plays... Manning doesn't give every single group an instruction on every single play. He does more at the line of scrimmage, and his team depends more on his reads, than any other team/quarterback. That doesn't mean that he does it all.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar