What Moves Will The Titans Make With Plenty Of Cap Room

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I would love it if we would resign Finny and then grabbed Scott Wells and Tyvon Branch in the FA. I think that if we did those things we could go BPA in the draft (w/focus on improving both the OL and DL)

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Keep in mind we have 20 holes to fill. The draft will provide us with 7 players. We also have some solid talent on our practice squad. If they play their cards right, 3 of those guys could get bumped up and count towards our 53 man roster. So we're still 10 guys short of a full team. Jordan Babineaux, Tim Shaw, Malcolm Sheppard, Dave Ball, Fernando Velasco, Michael Otto, Ken Amato, Cortland Finnegan, and Donnie Avery should all be kept IMO, so that means we may only sign 1-2 free agents.

If you wanna get an idea of what we can afford, guess the total salaries of the players I listed, then add in last years money spent on drafted rookies, that'll give us a real sense of what we have to shop with.

3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Exactly. You don't sign big name players then put them in a system that they have never played before. You pick guys that fit your system. I don't like changing a system for one specific player because if that player gets hurt then your screwed.

Mario Williams is the type of BIG DE that totally fits what Jerry Gray described last offseason as his philosophy. I doubt he ends up a Titan, but it at least makes sense.

I like your plan Finnebosch

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I agree. I don't have anything against Mario, just simply saying we have alot of holes to fill, and we could use his huge contract on filling multiple holes.
    Someone like Donnie Avery or Malcolm Sheppard will not hold our FO back from signing another FA.

I'll pass lol

5. JCBRAVE

Work is dead today so maybe I'll do it later today.

6. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I'm cool with only signing 2 FA if both can be impact starters. IMO, we only need 3-4 new starters anyways.

Hasselbeck/Locker
    CJ
    Hall
    Britt/Washington/DWill/Hawkins/Avery
    Cook/Stevens
    G: Amano/Harris
    T: Stewart/Roos
    C: New Player

DE: Morgan/New Player
    DT: Casey/Jones (if re-signed)/Klug/Marks/Smith (whether Jones is re-signed or not, we need a new DE, not new DT's)

LB's: Witherspoon, Mccarthy, Ayers (this trio again)

S: Babineaux/New Player
    CB: Finnegan (should be re-signed)/Mccourty/Verner

Sign a new C & S/DE, draft a DE/S in the first round (depending on which pos. we draft).

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Hardwick is considering retirement.

8. JCBRAVE

I didn't realize when the front office said we had $30M to spend that included future rookies. We will really have around $30M to re-sign guys and acquire free agents with. Just over $7M will go into this years rookies in year 1.

9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

So that's 30 mil to spend on free agents and re-signings? 30 mil NOT including rookies? That sounds sweet to me!

10. JCBRAVE

Yea $30M just for re-signings and acquisitions. We've really got over $35M, but they know that money will be locked up for all our rookies. Last year we spent just over $7.1M signing Locker and company, and with a rookie pay scale, that number will be just under last years since we're picking later.

HOWEVER, this is the last year teams can choose NOT to spend the money, the CBA doesn't force teams to spend until 2013 so even though we have $30M to shop with, we might not spend it all. In fact I know we wont spend it all. We'll keep something in reserve in case someone is lost for the year and we have to dip in to the free agent market again this summer after cuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar