What is wrong with me..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ryan, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Night and thanks for real.. Same with you Elfin.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Going a bit off topic, something just occurred to me.

How, even though this is a message board/forum and we don't converse face to face, what we say to people who may come across as different or odd, or just plainly being rude to someone because they rub you the wrong way, can still have an adverse effect on the member you are directing it too.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well Elf and avvie seem to have it covered, like avvie I'd also caution against medication unless it's an absolute necessity, for the most part realizing what it is that is causing the anxiety will bring a significant improvement.

Also I think you need to distinguish between clinical anxiety attacks, which can be a very severe disability, and "normal" anxiety attacks which are more common than you might think. Anyone who's ever had doubts about their education, career or lovelife (and that's a lot of people) is likely to have experienced mild anxiety attacks in some form, much like avvie describes it.

4. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Better calm down your jokes PitBull. Or I might have to turn on the Vick Signal and get him on you...

[​IMG]

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:hdrool: mmmm Soma

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I applaud Avvie and Elf for their timely advice.

I would also like to add to the crowd that says, try to wait and use medication as a last resort. You're at a time in your life when a ton is going on, and you've been under a lot of social pressure for a long time. You are, however, going to have to learn to deal with it, whatever way that you can. As Avvie says, most of the time, simple recognition that it's just anxiety, and that you're fine, will help a lot. I'd also say that if you can't do it on your own, you could consider going to a therapist. As you've probably seen with this thread, just talking about it can help, and you might be able to get specific advice on a way to deal with the attacks, if you can't work through it on your own.

I'd also say, try and find something in the future that relaxes you, winds you down, or slows you down. I'd bet part of working yourself up combines with caffeine, excitement, and other things to get you too hyped up. Try doing something slower. Read a book, listen to slow music. Find something that soothes you.

If that doesn't help either, then give medication a shot.

Good luck. Relax. All will be well.

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

no.. no.. i'm not evil..
    honest.. :evil:

[​IMG]

You're OK bro.. don't worry. I wouldn't have made my post if I hadn’t have read all the responses you received especially from Avvie who appears to have done a great job identifying the symptoms and providing a response which was assuring that its nothing serious and you're going to be alright.

You appeared pretty satisfied with what you read. Just wanted to put a smile back on your face after you've been so worried throughout this thread...

Stress does that to you too btw. You're in college right? Try taking a vacation and see if that helps. It should.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

There's also your age to consider Ryan. Your at the time in your life when your hormone levels are at the highest & most erratic levels they'll ever be at.

I'm not just talking about your libido. Seratonin is a chemical in your brain the affects your mood & noradrenaline is a chemical that affects your anxiety levels.

Medication is a last resort & you should ask & be asked a lot of questions before going on it. If your one of the unlucky people then you may need meds. It is however nothing bad & no different than having to take a pill for cholesterol or blood pressure issues for example.

There are some mental exorcises that can be learned to help you cope with anxiety.It's called cognitive behavior therapy or cbt for short.

If your having an attack & feel like you can't breathe sit forward on a chair & place your head between your knees & breathe through your mouth. It'll get the air in that you need until the episode passes.

If you your mind won't stop spinning & you can't switch off, run up & down your stairs for 5 - 10 minutes. It'll burn off your adrenalin & you'll be able to relax.

Irrational thought triggers your fight or flight adrenalin mechanism & if you don't find a release for it it compounds your problems.

The good news is that what your going through is quite common & is easily treated.

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Advice;
    Don't turn to a football message board for medical/psychological advice...

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Very true but in a way it can be a safe environment. You have people you can talk too who you've built a level of trust with.

These people are not people you have to see in the real world & be embarrassed around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar