What if the D isn't as good as last year?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Morpheus E, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morpheus E

Morpheus E Camp Fodder

Collins better be ready and CJ better be MVP-like and Fatboy better be a little slimmer because the O will need to pick it up a little this year.

I was just thinking about winning games 13-10 when I remembered that we don't have Fat Albert anymore.

Anybody else particularly worried?

2. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

if they aren't as good, they don't make it past the first round of the Playoffs..

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I have a lot of faith in our defensive line coach, so i'm not worried about the defensive line rotation. I think it will work fine. Yes, there might be a few games where we get ripped apart, it happens. But look at it this way...don't you think that the guys on our D-line have a chip on their shoulders going into this season? One guy leaves and suddenly there is supposed to be this huge drop-off? I think they will play harder, faster, and they will be out for blood. Cecil is that way. He is a hard-hitting, take no prisoners type of coach and he will carry us into a new land. I think this new scheme will be vicious, to say the least...i'm concerned on CB depth, but I think it will be taken care of in the draft and FA.

With that said...I think we'll be as good, if not BETTER than last year on defense. We are a collective unit, we don't have to rely on one man to save us.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Come on ........ really?

I think our run defense is going to suffer immensely this year. I expect us to fall to from 7th to about 12-15th in overall defense.

CC will have his hands full.

And how were we not a "collective unit"? Everywhere I read players seemed to like and understand AH's domination saying they fully wanted him back with the team. Also putting in to say he should be paid.

There is absolutely NO WAY imo we will be the same as last year. Maybe pressure wise, maybe not, but definitely the run d will hurt us.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I thrive on optimism, man. His departure will cause linebackers, D-lineman, secondary to step up their game. They have something to prove, and it will definately be a hot topic around the league. "TITANS LOSE HAYNESWORTH". Its not the apocolypse, Albert is NOT the Tennessee Titans. Yes, he contributed so much, but I'm not going to say that one players departure is going to bring our entire unit down.

NOT TO MENTION: KVB and Tony Brown are entering their contract year, as are Tulloch, Keith, and Harper. THEY'LL PLAY HARD.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I actually think that if we would've had Schwartz and no Big Al, we would get dink and dunked to death. But now that we have Cecil, I think he will be more aggressive and let some of the guys pin their ears back; old House of Pain style! I think he may utilize the LBs more with different blitz packages. He's gonna leave the secondary out on their own a little more, but that's because he's got 3 ProBowlers back there and he expects a lot from them......at least I hope this is how he handles the D:)

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Go look at the GoTitans Home page and tell me how many 13-10 games we played last year. In half our games we scored 28 points or more. Only 3 games were decided by less than 7 points. Quit buying into the ESPN talking heads evaluation of our offense. Stick with the facts.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

What a debbie downer of a thread! It's pretty darn likely that the defense won't be as good as it was last year... you know why? Because we had an amazing defense last year! We could be worse than last season and still have a top 5 defense!

I also totally agree with the comment above about how few true defensive contests we got into last season.

This is not the time for whining and wondering about what could go wrong, this is the time for debate over how to address our problems and get better! Save your whining for when you hang out with Texans' fans!

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I can't tell if this was a little sarcastic... if it was, then kudos. If not, then a fat lot of good it did us last year, huh?

I don't know - we were worried about the secondary losing Pac, and somehow improved dramatically. Al could have been a distraction, and I'm not so sure we didn't rely too much on him at times. I think a consistent, reliable defense is better than talented but up and down. Could work out fine for us.

10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Even when they WERE as good, we didn't make it past the first round (byes don't count).

I think it will be just as good, but not in the same exact fashion. I think maybe our run stuffing up the middle may not be quite as good as it was last year, but our secondary will be to make up for it.

If Cecil can run blitzes occasionally and effectively enough, that will help out too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar