what happened on the punt?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by OswegoTitan41, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTH

RTH Meh...

It's already controversially stupid. Eliminate it and let the game run as it should. He was unable to field the "fair catch." End story. No matter what team it is.

2. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

What happened today RARELY happens. And yall keep ignoring the fact that you guys are also basically saying that even the slightest of bobbles should also be able to be swept away from the coverage team. Essentially bringing a ton of grey area and even more debate to the play than there is now. Again, this is rare play we saw today. It sucks, but it keeps the overall integrity of the play this way. Because then swiping at the return guy, halo breach issues, did he even bobble it, did the defender think he did, etc,etc, all now dont come to the fore front.

3. RTH

RTH Meh...

What are you talking about?! Obviously, it was a bobble. Otherwise you wouldn't be referring to it as a BOBBLE. There is no grey area if you can say what it is. If it is bobbled... it is NOT caught. It's in the word itself. Is a 'bobbled' ball caught or not? No. Exactly. If it is not a catch, then it's fair game for anyone. He had his chance to fair catch it and failed. He was unable to handle a fair catch, that was his opportunity.

Don't even try to defend it as something that RARELY happens. That's dumb. The "tuck rule" is controversial, we all talk about it... yet, it doesn't happen that often. It "RARELY" happens. :rolleyes:

4. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

yea except theres a halo rule, so a slight bobble wouldnt really matter... so you're saying that someone could just bobble it for 10 yards and no one could touch him cuz he called a fair catch?

you could bobble the ball all the way to the endzone, just walking and no one can touch you. legit rule.

im not complaining tho, we shouldnt have needed that play to win. the game should have been way over long ago

5. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

the rule is dumb

/thread

6. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Umm... no. The referee would already know from his rule book that you can not ATTEMPT to advance the football after a fair catch.

7. Beaudreaux

Beaudreaux Starter

So what happens if he calls a fair catch and instead of ending up in opposing team's hands it's bobbled to another player on his team? I guess my issue with the logic is if it boinks off his helmet and goes five yards away in the air, an opposing player can't grab it but someone on his team can.

8. rastamon

rastamon Camp Fodder

now we just need to get screwed with the f'in tuck rule...

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

But he wasn't advancing it. It's a bobbled ball. It hasn't been caught, yet. You can't advance a ball that hasn't been caught.

10. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

ill break it down

i call a fair catch. it bouces forward off my chest. im the only person that has the right to claim that ball in the air and no one can get in my way or they get an interference penalty.

i catch up to the ball and i bobble the catch. the ball is bobbling forward so i run forward with the ball.

as long as i dont have control of the ball, and as long as the ball doesnt hit the ground, nobody can get in my way at all.

this is clearly what the rule states and its dumb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar