What are Titans thinking at QB in 2014?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewHorizans, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

I meant to start this thread after the Draft, and when they waited until the 6th round to draft a QB. On paper right now, the Titans are the laughing stock of the league at QB. It seems like the team is truly going ALL IN on Jake Locker, and for the life of me, I cannot see based on his entire career in the NFL how they could trust the guy like that. The man has NEVER played more than 3 full games in a row without getting hurt. NEVER. And when he gets hurts, its not something he could man up and play through like McNair used to, but its always MAJOR things. And when I look at the plays he gets hurt on, I dont even see how he made it through college. SO, based on Locker's past, how could the team not put into place a truly solid backup that if needed could be the leader of the team for an entire season???

Its not like they didnt have opportunity. First, FA came and went, and the best they did was sign Charlie Whitehurst (pure backup) mainly to replace Ryan Fitz. This guy might be ok in short term, coming in to finish out a game or maybe win a game against a weak opponent. But no one would see "Clipboard Jesus" as a great option at QB if Locker goes out for the entire season week 4, and he is expected to win enough games and play well in the playoffs.

Next came the Draft, Johnny Manziel was there in the 1st, they pass. 2nd round, Jimmy Garopopplo was there and they pass only to let him go to the Pats. THE PATS!!. We had two 4th round picks and let Murray and McCarrons go by as well. Then in 6th round we land Mettenburger. And maybe they hit the lottery, but lets be realistic here. In the history of the NFL, only a handful of QBs have become real franchise QBs, and even fewer were great playoff level QBs. Of the currently 32 teams, only Tom Brady is one of those, and for 14 seasons, he has been the ONLY one from the 6th round to go to a Super Bowl. But lets not think about it that way, lets say Metty is legit. He is coming off knee injury and is a rookie in the NFL. He isnt Andrew Luck or Cam Newton. So lets say its week 8 and Locker is out and Charlie blows, we then throw Metty to the wolves and expect him to be good enough to get wins for the team??? Seriously??

Even if Mettenburger is good one day, he shouldnt be expected to be good his rookie year coming off injury. So what then?? We sign a QB mid-season on FA? VY and Tebow would take the job. At that point we would be a laughing stock anyway.

Here is my opinion, I believe the 2014 season is seen by the coachings and staff as a re-building year. They are letting Locker do his thing as long as possible, if he plays great and stays healthy, then it could be a solid season. But I bet when Locker goes down, the plan from there is to lose out the rest of the season and land a top 3 Draft pick to then select a high Franchise QB.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. NewHorizans

What do you guys think? Are we ok at QB? Or are you scared to death like me?

My tickets are $100 each, and the Titans leaders seem to think I should pay $1000 to watch us lose. Once Locker goes down, we have an almost guaranteed losing season. 5-11? 4-12? Heck, if he goes down in camp or pre-season, we could go 2-14 (worst record in team history)

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's all about Locker. There is no better option.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Lockers job to lose. Cross your fingers he stays healthy.

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

All I read in that comment is IF IF IF IF IF IF IF..

Had we not drafted Metternberger, then I would have been beyond pissed, but since we did, I'm actually happy. I personally think we got a steal in Mett.

Try not to sweat over not drafting Murray or McCarron, because apparently there was a reason why they fell so much.

You have to understand that not too many backups are going to come right in and lead a team to the promised land. So I'm not getting the rant about not going after a good backup QB.

I'm not a Locker fan, but I will give him one more shot at this thing.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The Titans plan is pretty crystal clear. They are going to give Locker one last chance to prove whether he is the man or not. In the draft they knew that they were not going to take a QB early because they are giving Locker his last chance. They felt like their was a handful of QBs with about the same draft grade. So they did not need to take the 1st QB of that group. They watched the group of QBs fall in the draft and took better talent at other positions. Once the run on QBs happened in the late 5th rnd the Titans made the move to get the last one.

As a Titans fan we all hope that Locker stays healthy and proves to be the man. If he is the man then the Titans are sitting very pretty on offense with a ton of young talent....Lewan, Sankey, Hunter, Warmack, Schwenke, Wright, and Walker....a really nice young core. With Mettenberger as the backup QB for 4 yrs.

If Locker fails then we have had a year to get a feel for Mettenburger. Cam Cameron his OC at LSU has stated he thinks Mett has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL. If we feel the same way then we give Mett his chance in 2015. If we don't then we hit the draft again looking for our franchise guy.

7. Fairweather Fan

Fairweather Fan Pro Bowler

Houston has a worse QB situation than us. Just about every team in the league that drafted a QB this year with the exception of New England and maybe Minnesota are worse off at QB than us this season.

No team ever plans to lose out. That is an absurd statement.

8. NewHorizans

Just seems that way to me. Put all your eggs in Locker basket. I speak as someone who spends $3K a year going to games and I don't want to and sell my extra tix later in the season when Charlie Whitehurst is QB and we can't win games

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I think it's pretty clear it's Locker or a high draft pick next year. Best case scenario is Locker stays healthy and looks good. If not we start over.

10. 615nick

615nick Starter

Colts did it to get luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar