What are the biggest problems facing the Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse (a.k.a the Collins factor), but I live in NC at the moment for school and all my buddies are Panthers fans. It says something when my die-hard-Panthers-fan friend shakes his head and says he'll pray for me upon hearing of the Collins signing. :doh: But it is partly the FO's fault for signing and throwing someone who is ill-prepared to the flames.

ANYWAYS...I agree with some of the posts about our OLine being #1. Here's an insert I found from Fishers Press Conference:

(on if T David Stewart could remain the starter)

No, when Jacob comes back Jacob will go back out there. This was Dave’s first time to put a helmet on in a real game, against the Chargers. What better challenge could you face? He did a nice job. He had a couple of issues, but he was physical and pass protected well. Dave kind of reminds you of a John Runyan in his second or third year. He’s got a good future.

A John Runyan, Fish? and you still want to start a natural Guard in Bell over a John Runyan? WTF? Anyways, I feel OLine is a problem, but one that can easily be fixed with some more depth and re-aranging. Once that is fixed, our offense can hopefully put a run game together and convert those 3rd downs to give our defense a rest.

As for the rest...

#2 Personell, Depth and Coaching of the Secondary. (Aside from Hope, there's not much here or is there? Maybe some of those who don't get a chance should get one..Woolfolk, Fuller, Finnegan anyone? And why hasn't a single DB we've selected since Samari, Blaine and Dyson stuck? Time for a new coach?)

and comments 2-5 from Jeff's post pretty much hit all that I was gonna say.

2. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Not to mention one of the greatest plays of all time.

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

The fact that they didn't throw a single pass toward Pacman's side says something about his coverage. However, Reynaldo got wore out.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fisher commented that the Chargers are a "right-handed" team so they go that direction most of the time. McCardell was on the right and that was where LT did the bulk of his damage in the passing game.

I remember the Titans working Pacman on that side some in training camp some because Fisher wanted both his corners to be able to play from either side. I assume this isn't the case anymore since this would have been an ideal time to do it.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

no that requires changing gameplan.

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

1. Defensive Scheme

2. Schwartz

3. Free saftey

4. Inability of the D.E to get to the QB

5. we're going to struggle... we've might as well struggle with young, it's easier to except. With Young under center we'll see improvement and the offense growing together... Collins will be headed the other way and add frustration... developing Young will lessen the frustration.

7. schwarts
    no hussle on defense
    lamont
    hill
    no hussle

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

1. Lack of overall intensity on both sides of the ball; No killer instinct from either sides.

2. Terrible pass-protection, and average run-blocking by an O-Line diminished by two old, fat, ineffective guards.

3. Incosistent pass-rush, based primarily on ineffective defensive schemes and play-calling.

4. Overall unwillingness to change anything from the coaching staff; zero ability to make adjustments ON ANY LEVEL, at ANY POINT during games.

5. Overall lack of awareness at the coaches level that there is a significant problem with this team.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Guys, I think some of you are overlooking the main problems.

1. Coaching. We have been embarassed. Not only on the scoreboard, but the other teams laugh when they see us on the schedule. We're disfunctional, we make horrible decisions as an organization, and we're NEVER ready to play. I believe we have middle of the pack talent on our team right now, and we should be playing up to that with average coaching. Intead, we'll contend for the worst record in the league. I hope we clean house at year's end. I wouldn't mind seeing Chow canned tonight and Fisher call plays til the end of the season, actually.

2. QB play. Not a problem? Are you kidding me? I know there are other reasons other than his own talent that are causing KC to perform poorly, but uhhh hello, he had a (count em) 1.3 passer rating. That borders on the unfathomable. Vince Young had a 70+. So you don't think that our starter having a 1.3 passer rating is a problem? Uh huh.

3. Guards. I could call out the entire offensive line, but let's face it. The guard slots are definately our weakness. Mawae hasn't played at the level we had hoped. Roos is an average tackle, which is great since he's young, but that doesn't help us move the chains right now. With an upgrade at BOTH guard slots and a fresh coach, I think we'll move into the middle of the pack and be set up for a while.

4. GM. Maybe I should put this higher. I'm not really sure. It is pretty much impossible to tell if he picked good players and they were just not developed or he picked bad players and they got cut. I'm a fan of the latter. We can sit and talk about free agents blah blah, but the bottom line is that every successful team in the NFL builds their team through the draft. We've been dead wrong on many occasions and we're seeing the results of that.

5. Lamont Thompson. This guy shouldn't even be on an NFL roster. He doesn't have speed. He doesn't have instincts. He doesn't scare anyone. But you tell me, it can't be that bad. Surely a guy that was drafted so high would have the talent to develop in the right conditions into a good player. But then you see him jumping when a receiver pump faked (yes, basketball style) past the line of scrimmage. You see him 5 yards from the line of scrimmage on a play action while the corner on his side is getting torched. You see him make the wrong play on every occasion. He's complete garbage. There is no way to candy coat it. He can't play at this level. Anywhere. I'm not sure he could start for any elite college teams, really. He has to go... now.

If I had a sixth, it would have to be Reynaldo Hill. Pressuring the qb is a key, but I really and truely believe that our defense will improve 10 fold just by running the ball better, giving them some rest, and having a new defensive coordinator that isn't afraid to blitz every now and then.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

I agree with everything you said!

Mine would be...

Defensive coordinator/scheme/playcalling - Since Schwartz has been here, we've gone from a man to man D to primarily zone. The result has been MVP numbers for opposing QB's a HIGH percentage of games. We've also gone from a smashmouth run-stopping D who will nail your QB to a team that can't stop the run unless we sell out and then we give up BIG PLAYS! I think this is the FOURTH straight game in which we can't stop a simple bootleg pass play. It really is at ridiculous levels. Better D play will keep us in ballgames and allow us to win games like we used to with a young McNair, EG and Wycheck. That is, assuming we can fix the...

OL. Reese neglected the OL for YEARS. He'd take a 3rd string TE or a 3rd string CB (who'd be fighting for a roster spot in training camp) instead of going for a decent OL...especially at OT. The result of that is age and a drop off of play at OG, too much youth and inexperience at LT and a bad solution at RT. Meanwhile we have a 1st rnd pick at CB not even PLAYING! Roos and Mawae are good starts, but Roos may need to move back to RT. Maybe Bell can challenge Pillar at LG, but we need some serious help here. As a result, both our run game and pass protection have suffered and when your QB is immobile (KC), it's a BAD combo. That is Reese's fault. But we need to fix this situation ASAP or VY will spend his first year running for his life or reading 2 WR patterns cause everyone else will have to block!

Offensive playcalling/Packages/Adjustments. I'm not impressed with Chow's offense so far. A lot of problems can be directed at the OL (which can wreck any offensive scheme), but Chow needs to account for that. The Giants fielded a WORSE OL with Collins at the helm and they lit up the scoreboard. So it CAN be done. And utilize VY more. The Falcons are a dangerous running team BECAUSE the defense (especially the OLB's and DE's) are in a bind when the Tackle blocks down and the QB shows and handoff to the rb. The DE is SUPPOSED to shuffle down to make the hole smaller BUT he also has to contain the QB on a bootleg. When you have players as fast as Vick or Young, you can't do BOTH. He also needs to get Troupe MUCH more involved and create packages for mismatches.

Pressure D. Under Schwartz we have let offenses dictate to us and we have suffered BADLY for it. Time to switch things up. We need to dictate to the offense what they can do and challenge them to get it done. Sure we might give up the occasional bomb against an all-out blitz, but we're also gonna create turnovers and occasional knock the QB out or make them much less effective. This will also lead to the D being on the field for shorter amounts of time. It will also give us our swagger back...then we'll see some of that killer instinct like D's like the Steelers and Jags have.

Old school. We need to go back to our roots. Fisher built this team with a mobile QB, a dominant RB, a mismatch TE, and a good OL on offense. Rebuilding a dominant running game is a priority as this will allow VY to start earlier with less pressure. We can always go back to a strong run game offense to keep us in 3rd and short where we have the options of WR mismatches, TE mismatches, draw play to the RB/QB or VY scramble for the first down. On D, we need to do 2 things. Stop the run and attack the QB. More basic...is making players accountable. If a player messes up, have a seat and let the guy behind him see if he can do better.

At seasons end, it will be time to evaluate Fisher and Reese (along with the rest of the coaching staff).

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar