What about Zach Brown ...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by edward nigma, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edward nigma

edward nigma Starter

Everyone wants to select a DE with the #20 pick to improve the pass rush. But lets be honest, Coples will be gone and now reports are coming out that Ingram could possibly be gone also. How about improve the overall athleticism of the the defense by adding this young man at weak-side olb. He flys to the ball and is excellent in coverage (Think of a more aggressive Keith Bulluck coming out of Syracuse). When I say fly, I mean he can fly. The following is a description of Brown during his sophmore season (This offseason, Brown ran a 4.28 40-yard dash. Google it—it's the truth.

ESPN.com ranked Brown number five in their top 10 college "Workout Warriors," which was quite an honor for a true sophomore who will start for the first time this season.

The 6'2'', 220-pound Maryland native won state titles in the 100m and 200m dashes while being rated within the top 15 prep players in the country by most recruiting services.
    )
    He is now listed at 237 lbs., stronger and reportedly has not lost a step. Imagine this speeding bullet coming off the edge if we adjusted our scheme to blitz (slightly) more than we have in the past. Just a thought.

I still want DeCastro (OG) from Stanford but I would be okay with Brown if he was the selection.

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

I am high on this kid because of the pure speed he has. One of our biggest issues is covering TE and his speed he will have no problem covering today's TE/WR hybrids. My only concern with the kid is it seems every year their a UNC LB that is going to be a stud but he never amounts to anything. However, with his speed and pure athleticism it seems like he might have a promising career.

Like most UNC LB he'll be talked about as a first round pick and drop into the second I came to the realization it will be a safer pick in the second with his lack of size. He has a good first step and uses speed to get around defenders to make tackles in the backfield but if a lineman gets a hold of him he is useless.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Scared of contact.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Love the speed, how could you not, but he's sounds to me like this years Dontay Moch, and Moch did nothing his rookie year with the Bengals.

Also, whats the point of being super fast if you're in the wrong place? Browns read and react speed is questionable.

I'm not against picking Brown, mainly because he'd have 1 year to learn behind Witherspoon, but I don't like the idea of developing a guy picked at 20. 20th overall picks should be starters by week 10, this guy wouldn't be NFL ready til 2013.

5. JCBRAVE

I do think he's a 4-3 OLB and being that many teams are now showing 3-4 fronts, we may be able to get him in the 2nd round with a little bit of moving around.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Wouldn't mind if he fell to us in the 2nd. But we do need alot more before OLB... like OG, OC, CB, SS, FS, DE, or DT lol

However, if we land some decent FAs with our 30M of spending cash, I wouldn't be opposed to a OLB. Zach Brown could be our LB to guard TEs, and the speed would be nice. Seems that TEs always burn us. Brown - McCarthy - Ayers would be a nice trio for years.

7. JCBRAVE

Adding Whitney Mercilus would be an option for us too, he could play OLB or DE. And he wouldn't be a reach at 20, whereas Brown would be.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I can't see Mercilus playing 43OLB. 6'4 265ish, 4.7 speed (not terrible).

I don't think he's every played LB @ Illini (that I can remember), and I'm at every game. He has played 43 DT believe it or not in games. He seems very timid and never seems to run full speed. Has little pass rush moves, just would run through/by OTs. Some of those sacks were kinda cheap, and just used his athleticism to get around slower OTs. He's decent in run support. Doesn't have an "explosion" after the snap, which will get him pancaked in the pros. He does use his hands well. He does have a good football IQ and runs East-West well and holds his edge against the run.

I'm an Illinois fan, and I'm not huge on Whitney in a 43. I actually think he's better suited for a 34 OLB compared to 43 DE and 43 OLB. I think he'll go to Pats (27 & 31), Ravens (29), Redskins (39), Bills (41), Dolphins (42), Chiefs (44), Cowboys (45), and Jets (47)... Late 1st/Early to Mid 2nd.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Zach Brown is all finesse. Not really a fan. I'd rather have Sean Spence in the third.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Mercilus is a reach, one year wonder, really doesn't show up much on tape. Coaches were even surprised. Stay away in the first. Too much risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar