What about that outrageous ridiculous call?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

This'll clear it up...

Because they ruled that Troupe never had possession. It's not the last player to TOUCH the ball, it's the last player to Possess the ball.

Gut

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I understand that, but typically a fumble happens when a player drops the ball. Nickey did not drop the ball. Troupe gets the ball, takes a step then drops it. I just don't see how it was ruled Nickey fumbled. It's a subjective call, but I don't agree with it.

3. I still can't see why the refs took away the timeout because Fisher challenged the fumble, whether it was a fumble or not, and since he was correct, why do we a lose a timeout, explain please?...

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

That is a good point. If he was challenging the fumble, he won. It was indeed a fumble. Then again, with all the confusion, who knows what heck was going on.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Also, on replay, it did appear that the ravens recovered before the pile up. He way laying on the ground with two hands on the ball. Therefor when he was touched, and had two hands on the ball, the play was over in my opinion. The ensuing scrum was irrelevant.

6. Toly

Toly Free your mind

There's not a lot to say about that call other than the Titans got screwed again. As if it wasn't enough that this team is one of the worst in the NFL, it seems that the referees are making sure that it stays that way.

7. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Fisher didn't specifically challenge whether or not it was a fumble, he challenged the ruling on the field. When the ruling was upheld, the timeout was charged. So we got screwed twice, once by the umpire and once by the ref.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It was a terrible initial call. The refs made the right review, but I can't believe the initial call was that terrible.

This team lost for a number of it's own reasons, but these things hurt too.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

The ref guessed. More troubling than that is that the other refs all lets them play, knowing it was a fumble, but mr. genius was sure enough that he was down by conduct that he ran in and called off the fumble. Then, they review it after forcing us to use a challenge. What follows is the dumbest series of events I have ever witnessed by paid professionals. The ref was so sure of his call to uphold it (citing some rule that has nothing to do with the play) that he audibly stutters as thousands of fans are booing. But wait, there's more. Most times, in this situation, the other referees realize that they blew the call and would give some leniency and oftentimes, even a makeup call. But oh no, not this crew. A gutsy call turns disaster as Ben fumbles in the backfield. But then the amazing happens as he recovers his own fumble, hurdles a defender, and proceeds to make an astonishing first down that leads the fans to forgive and forget the previous atrocious call. But wait a minute. The refs would have none of it. Instead, they decide to bring thousands of people who are in a perimeter around the referee crew into a blinding rage. Smart move.

Ok, maybe a little overstated, but the first call was the worst I've seen since Testeverde's phantom TD that sent them to the playoffs. That was the reason replay started. There is no point to replay if we can't fix those calls. Count me against replay from here on out. That referee crew should be repremanded for this game. That is unacceptable. The second call was the correct one, but I have no idea how you can make that call after you obviously blew a huge call that, even then, looked like it would decide the outcome of the game. Two thumbs down.

10. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

It was the umpire who blew the call, not the ref (who reviewed the challenge.) But the end result was the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar