What a joke

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I'm not too keen on the death penalty, but I'd have no issues with locking these two in a cell and feeding them through a slot in the door three times a day for the next seventy or so years.

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I never called for an execution. Please quote me if I did. I just do not feel that the state should bend over backwards to help people who have caused harm to society in this manner. It is like rewarding someone because they screw up. The only thing the family receives is the knowledge they are no longer on the streets and no other family will have to go through what they are going through.

Stealing a car or committing a crime that hurts someone financial is not even close to someone who takes a life, IMO. Something we are taught from birth (not just by our parents but by society that murder is wrong). At 14, if you can not live within that simple rule then you IMO do not deserve to be in society. How dare they take away the chance for this person to experience life. Why should these girls get a “break” and get to experience the rest of there lives because they are playing ignorant to the fact that life is something to be treasured.

It is not like they did not pay there taxes, these girls took a life.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I'd rather be sentenced to death than be tortured or even spend the rest of my life in prison. That's an easy way out.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

How is it a reward?!? Nobody likes going to jail and the state isn't bending over backwards to help these people, rather it's trying to help the society as a whole. I certainly wouldn't want to live in a society where you execute or permanently lock up anyone who happen to step outside of the rules. I'd much rather live in a society that tries to help prevent people from stepping outside of the rules, rather than just punish them afterwards.

You argue that they dared to take away a persons chance to experience life, and now you want to do the exact same thing (whether we're talking life in prison or execution)? Do you see hypocrisy or do I need to spell it out for you?
    And nobody's talking about giving them a "break", I'm saying capital punishment (or life in prison for that matter) doesn't accomplish anything other than waste more lives.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Prison does not deter or rehabilitate either. Crime rates rise, and many are repeat offenders.

These girls BRAGGED about killing someone and said they'd do it again. They showed no remorse in court and now they get a pathetic sentence which almost invites them to kill again.

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Regular people, law abiding, hard working people are screwed over by life everyday, people who actually are attempting to do something positive with themselves, and honestly I’m pretty numb to their problems. So if you’re asking me to work up some empathy for these two little *****, you’re knocking on the wrong door.

In the cell, lock the cell. Buh-bye. Let their lives be a cautionary tale. I’d have no problem with that.

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Yes nobody likes to go to jail, but if I say do some community service and your prison time is cut in half or in this case "rehabilitation" time to get a reduced sentence it is a reward. You are being "rewarded" for the time you put in to make yourself a better person so you do not have to serve prison time. Rehab vs prison is a no brainier.

You have done this twice in this thread where you have generalized my comment into locking someone away for there entire life or an execution. I have never said that that is the punishment that fits the crime. I merely feel that a 3.5 year sentence for murder is way too soft. I do not care what your age is it is a slap on the wrist compared to the taking of a life. It does not just affect the person who was lost but the family as well, and if the girls have to rot in prison for 20 years to really drive it home then so be it.

You also use the term "step outside of the rules". This was not a simple stepping outside of the rules. You can not give back a life; you can not repair the damage done. The life is lost and a family is broken. I am talking on a specific type of crime not just breaking some random rule.

Our society is always looking to point fingers at others because we feel that normal people would not act this way. Why can't our society take the blame for there actions. "it was my upbringing", "my friends influenced me", "I saw it on TV" .... these are the same people that you deal with at work who screw up and can not take the blame for there actions. If so and so had not, I did not know about X, Y or Z. It is called an excuse. And when it comes to taking a life excuses should hold little to no weight.

Yes in an ideal world we would find the cause of the problem and treat it prior to the person committing the crime but once the action is done truly the blame lies on the criminal not some social upbringing that forced them to do that. We see people who make it all of the time by challenging what holds them back. Murder, just flat out being a punk is a cop out and deserves to be treated like one.

Personally I see no hypocrisy in my statement. I am saying we take away the chance to experience life for those who have already made the choice to steal that from someone else . When you have a choice things are different. In that respect these girls gave up there life experiences when they made there choice. Please do not say if I am going to act without a thought to the consequences to my actions, then someone should come along and protect me because I have made a bad choice. How many bad choices does it take before they are held accountable for there action (Again 3.5 years is not being held accountable IMO.)

I agree with the statement that putting them in prison is wasting there lives but are these the people you want in society? If they are so detached from society that taking a life is something they feel is ok, do they really deserve to be placed back into a society that 99.9% of the people in it are intelligent enough to realize that it is wrong and that it is just not accepted? Where is the line drawn that enough is an enough? You say repeat offenders should not be given a break. What about the nut that went to VT? That was his first offense do you really feel he deserved a second chance if he had lived through that? (I realize that is an extreme example) If no then please let me know where society should draw the line in the sand.

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Totally Agree

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

You of all people should know that money crimes are punished the most harshly by incarceration... please. Murders routinely walk away on parole... there are country club prisons full of accountants who are doing more time than many killers in high security facilities. Sadly, in this world (or at least this country), it's not that you kill... it's who you kill. Being who you are can help or hurt you. It just depends... but I'm sorry man... please spare me this "life is precious" crap. It's so Billy Graham. Don't get me wrong. I believe in the sanctity of life... but this is some money and power territory we are getting into. This reminds me of O.J. Simpson. He likely took TWO lives with premeditation and raw aggression. Where is he now? San Quentin? No. Just some golf course somewhere. The power of the almighty dollar. It can put you in prison on stiff, airtight penalties or your innocence can be bought for a price with the right combination of opinion and luck. Those girls should spend at least the next 5 years in an appropriate, full-time psychiatric environment and be evaluated at that time.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

The "American experiement", whatever that is, is 100% effective in deterring those particular criminals who have been subjected to it.

Ya think, at least they will be free in time to vote on their 18th birthdays.

somehow I don't quite think that they have a chance at all of growing up to be perfectly normal adults. I feel sorry for their future children for starters. At best socity can expect them to produce a litter or two of social misfits at worst society can expect an expotentially progressive body count comming from their devil spawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar