We're not #1 against the run...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

No siree..
    Unless you only want to take into account total rushing yards per game..

I'm sure many people already knows this and it doesn't take more than a couple of clicks to find these stats, but our defense's average yds/att is 3.5 compared to the Vikings defense who are giving up only 2.8 yds/attempt, and the Ravens who are giving up 2.9 yds/att. Furthermore, the Cowboys and Eagles are only 0.1yd/attempt away from dropping us to 5th place on yards per rushing attempt.

So in other words, if offenses run against us as much as they're rushing against the Vikings and Ravens, we'd automatically drop to 3rd against stopping the run in all terms.

Don't get me wrong...
    I'm not complaining and I'm highly impressed with the performance of our D-Line and have been since week 1.. however I'm just pointing out a stat.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

The last two weeks we have given up some yards on the ground to quicker running backs. Up until then, our statistics were also badly skewed by the 49-yard fake punt, which went against our run defense, stats-wise.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Pitbull, do you know why that is? It's because we shut down the run early, and teams quit trying to run as much. We're preventing teams from being able to run it, and then, when we're ahead, they have to pass to catch up. It's one of the positive benefits of being in the position to win.

I prefer to use total yards per game. Also, remember the fake punt that went for 49 yards? That counted as a run against our defense, most of whom weren't on the field. It counted against our average as well, and yet, our rushing yards per game are the best in the league.

I'd say we can consider ourselves the best rushing D in the league, and have plenty of evidence to prove it.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I wouldn't use yards per attempt as the measuring stick
    yards per game points to the bigger picture

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

who cares about the ranking?

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Where in the world did this come from? Are you saying we're not as good against the run as the stats seem to show?

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

:applause:

No chit. Your ranking doesn't win games.

8. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

A lot of the yards are in garbage time with draws and stuff when we are focusing on the pass to much.

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Doesn't matter what rankings say. We have a top 3 defense in this league IMO. You know why I think this? Because we're 6-2 with an offense that has done nothin but try to lose games lately.

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Everyone passes on the Vikings because they have no pass D. Remember the Pats last season when Brady threw on almost every down?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar