Webster new GM, Reinfeldt COO

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Woy, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Wasnt Plaxico after they won it?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Plaxico caught a TD in their Super Bowl win.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Well there you go. Hazy memory.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think you're kind of re-framing this issue in a way that warps the original point.

Signing free agents isn't bad. Of course it's it's a good idea to sign free agents. I don't think you will find a single person who thinks it's a bad idea to do so.

The issue that Ruston Webster spoke about (and that started this discussion) was whether going hard after the biggest names in free agency and, presumably, over-paying for them is a bad idea. Every year, there is one guy (and occasionally two) that teams go crazy for and give gigantic contracts to. Haynesworth in Washington. Asomugha in Philly. Those are the guys that we are discussing here (or at least the guys we started out discussing), not the mid-to-upper-level free agents.

Several of the guys you identified were not "the guy" in the year he was signed as a FA.

Mario Williams might end up being that guy this year, so it will be interesting to see how the Titans approach things. I doubt we will ever see a Titans team that has a huge free agent signing to announce within hours of the start of the free agency period.

5. JCBRAVE

Forget about signing players for a minute, signing Webster up as the new GM was a huge win for us. Reinfeldt says Webster should have been the GM in TN 5 years ago, and is better than he is at the job. He's also the one many credit for the 2011 draft class. I'm super excited to see what Webster can do as the GM.

If he wants to sit back at wait things out and get a better value, fine by me. This is one of the few front office guys I believe is good at what he does.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Jevon Kearse is another example. I remember how bad it sucked when he signed with Philly. Didn't work out too well for them.

7. JCBRAVE

Jevon couldn't stay healthy though.

Man I miss The Freak.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Going off memory here, but I don't think Corey Dillon (who was coming off injury but still), Plaxico, Vinateiri, or Brees (also off injury) were considered mid-tier free agents at the time of their signing.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I would argue all of those players fell short elite free agent (Haynesworth/Asomugha) status that I was talking about (and Webster was also talking about). They were certainly highly thought of as players, but none were considered elite game-changing talents. I don't think any of those players proves that the Titans strategy of staying out of the initial free agent frenzy, when crazy contracts are given, is the wrong one.

Brees was coming off injury and the Dolphins actually turned him away in favor of Daunte Culpepper. Clearly the signing looks amazing now and he is certainly an elite player at this point, but he wasn't at the time. He never would have hit free agency if he was thought of that way.

Burress was signed weeks after free agency began. He was one of the top wide receivers that year, but not a truly elite free agent.

Dillon was acquired via trade if I remember correctly.

Vinatieri was certainly a player the Colts went hard after, but he is a kicker and I don't really think he is a good case to use as evidence supporting your argument. Going hard after a kicker in free agency is not at all the same as going hard after an elite offensive or defensive player. Overpaying for a kicker is still only a tiny part of your salary cap.

10. Thefreak

Thefreak Shut Down Corner

I never knew you cared.

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar