Webster Job - Review

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans1839, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Yeah, no Webster fan by any means, but that's bull****. If that were true, there would be hundreds of star players in the league at a time. Even if only most first round picks were stars, and no stars after the first round.

Let's not pretend Wright was a top 10 pick either. He was picked 20th.

Expecting your top 5 pick to turn out a star? I get that. Expecting every first round pick to be a star? Get real. No team in the NFL does that.

For the 20th pick, Wright is solid value.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Great post, I agree 100%

Theres about 10 sure things in any draft, then theres some guys with lots of upside like Wright, and then a ton of average players.

3. JCBRAVE

Matt Elam? The guy who leads the NFL in missed tackles? You talking about we should have grabbed him over Warmack? o_O

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Webster hasn't found a single impact player in the first two rounds of the draft.

You guys can argue all you want about what a decent player Wright is (and by no means am I arguing that he's bad) but the overall point is undeniable: Webster hasn't made the most of his high-value draft picks.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Exactly

6. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Did i say that? No i didn't. Those are just the guys that came in and did anything in the nfl so far. Just to show a comparison to the people crying over webster 1st round choices.

7. JCBRAVE

I guess I can agree with this. With the 11th and 10th overall you would hope to have done better than Lewan and Warmack, but both those guys looked to have turned a corner in 2014. OLine is never the sexy picks, but they're vital pieces you need to get right.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I'm not counting Lewan in my list of "no impact players" just yet. Didn't see enough from him. If he turns out to be a Pro Bowl OT, then I will retract my criticism. (And I will be happy to do it.)

Warmack improved but if you are a guard drafted that high then you better be the J.J. Watt of guards.

But my criticism of Webster's draft classes stands for the rest. None of the other 1st or 2nd rounders is playing at the level I would expect for a player drafted that high. They aren't busts, but they are playing like mid-rounders at best in some cases.

9. JCBRAVE

Verdicts still out on Brown too, so if he's a hit and Lewan is a hit, then people should lay off Webster. As Ive made it clear, I personally dont believe Webster is a problem.

10. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

Go back to and draft over the last 5 years and see if you can recognize more than 12-15 names now that play. Every draft has 7-10 players in the first round that turn out to be solid pro bowl players. 25%. Not a lot.

Players picked before Wright in his draft: Trent Richardson, Justin Blackmon, Morris Claiborne, Mark Barron, Ryan Tannehill, Stephon Gilmore, Bruce Irvin, Quinton Coples, Dre Kirkpatrick, Melvin Ingram, and Shea McClellin. That's 11 of the 19 players selected before him. All are not pro bowl or "Big Name" players for there team. Misses happen more than not. To get Wright who had 1000 yards last year is good.

I can even go sooner. Before Warmack was Milliner, Mingo, Copper, Lane Johnson, Dion Jordan, and even Eric Fisher and Tavon Auston have struggled. Top 10 picks are even 50/50 to last past 3-5 years in the league.

This year had Ebron, Gilbert, Matthews, Watkins, Bortles, and Robinson struggled. For us to get Wright, Warmack, and Lewan, all 3 players who seems to be a core part of our franchise going forward is a huge win. Any pick that you would want to sign past their rookie deal is a good pick. I think we can all agree that if these players were FA this year, we would want to resign them all. That's a good pick.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar