We are still minor league

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VolnTitan, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Well, Terry McCormick is headed to Canton.

The City Paper sends someone but the Tennessean can't due to budget reasons??? What a joke.

2. TitansCountry25

TitansCountry25 Veteran

Well its certainly ashame that the citys biggest paper cant cover what is a historic moment for this City and its football team. I dare say it will be a long time until we see another Titan go to the hall. However, this city has issues covering sporting events. There is absolutly no way to catch a Fisher press conference after a game (if there is please let me know) on the radio we could have signed a top tier player and channel 4 would still lead off with nascar notes and see who got a new sticker on their car. They do cover the Predators pretty well on the radio and have good coverage but I have always felt from the media in Nashville taht no one really cares much about it other than its a money maker.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Onuv...

That's total bullcrap!!!!! I'm sick of this small market garbage the tennessean can afford to send someone for crying out loud and if we are so damn small marlet why are the titans in the middle of the pack in terms of finances? Why do we sell out every single damn game?

4. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

The internet is killing newspapers, in general. As TitanJeff stated, people are used to NOW. With BlackBerry's, Treo's, Sidekicks and cell phones equipped with the internet, there is no wait time for news.

Take training camp, for example. How many of you read the Tennesean's print, daily update about training camp in comparison to GoTitan's daily update about training camp. Honestly, can't you get what you need and more from this website in comparison to the Tennesean?

In my opinion, newspapers with good writers can compete with online. The AP has a beat writer in camp, her name is Teresa Walker. The players know, respect and have a friendly relationship with Teresa. Teresa does not travel to out of town games with the Titans because the AP has beat writers in all NFL towns. However, because of Teresa's relationship with the Titan players, she would be able to write a more interesting story because she knows how to get the story out of the guys.

Same for the Hall of Fame situation. While the Tennessean was going to rely on AP reports, it was the Tennesean beat writers who were with Matthews during his playing days and could have gotten a more interesting story out.

The Tennesean now will only send 1 beat writer to road games for the Titans. The coverage is gonna bite.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Sad that an AP writer has a better relationship with our players than the local writers... You mean Kuharsky's sarcastic (yet almost prophetic) article last year about rainbows and ponies and the Titans winning out their final 8 games didn't win the team over? They still can't let go of Pacman and the fact that he stopped talking to them. The writers over there act like they're 5 years old... and I'm not sure how much they know about football - maybe we could petition for Sirmon to start writing articles for the Tennessean? He's smart, obviously has a good relationship with the team, and knows football - I bet he'd be fantastic.

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

ESPN did several days of player interviews, and the event was covered on TV. Did we miss what Bruce had for breakfast that morning?

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Thunder...

You are missing the point. It is an insult for the paper not to send at least 1 reporter to Ohio to cover the first player ever in Titan uniform to be put in the HOF.

8. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

MJTitan, apologies that you misunderstood me. The AP writer, Teresa, in a sense is also a local writer. She is the AP writer for the Titans. Anyone that AP has contracted with that wants Titans stories comes from Teresa.

It's really interesting because, basically, AP could put any local writer out of business. AP has a writer in every NFL city. Basically, the Tennessean could go with not sending any writer to an NFL game and just pull the story from the AP writer. The question is, do we want news from just one news source, AP?

9. zackmann

zackmann Guest

taking this subject a bit more offtopic...

local papers need to cover local sports differently.....i live in memphis, so the only pro team our local paper has to cover are the grizzlies.....after each game, our beat writer will write a recap article, which basically is very similar to the AP recap article (which Teresa Walker usually writes if it is a home game)...

the AP recap comes out quicker...so by 30 minutes after the game, i have already read the AP recap article....

but the grizzlies beat writer will nonetheless spend lots of time that night getting his recap article ready for the next morning's paper....but everybody has already read the recap from the AP...

what local papers should do is just reprint the AP recap article for each game and have their beat writers focus more on columns rather than articles recapping the game....it would be a better way to spend their time and would provide the fan with more info....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar