We are just like the patriots....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DCtitan49, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No argument here.

Yes, again I get that. The problem is that, if Clements' contract sets a new precedent (which new big contracts tend to do), then how much is Champ Bailey worth now? Clements was the best CB available on the market, but he isn't exactly a stud shutdown corner either. The guy didn't even make the Pro Bowl...

Like I said, this phase of overspending will last possibly 1 more year, at most. But it isn't sustainable. If average players were to keep getting these insane contracts, teams will be unable to pay good players, even with the new cap. It only happened this year because of the insane new amount of free cap space and the dearth of quality free agents available to spend it on.

I expect GMs have already figured that it won't last. And it is going to make their lives much tougher in terms of negotiating for the next couple of years because the players will want the trend to continue.

It doesn't verify that. It points out that there is still a lot of free space for now. But that's in a system where the vast majority of contracts are from the previous cap era. With these artificially inflated numbers, if they continue, teams would run out of cap room very quickly.

Again, if contract trends were to continue and every decent starting guard were to get $15M+ bonuses, how much will other guys get? How much will franchise tackles get? How much will QBs get?

Freeney got $30 up front and Patrick Kerney (?) got $19.5M guaranteed. How much will the Panthers pay Julius Peppers? Is Terrell Suggs going to get $30M next year? Jared Allen should be good for at least $25M, of course he's holding out as a RFA as we speak.

If Drew Bennett and Kevin Curtis are getting $10M guaranteed, should Bernard Berrian and DJ Hackett expect the same next year?

Even the larger salary cap can not sustain that kind of growth in the long term. These contracts, certainly the guaranteed money, has gone up by close to 50%.

In 2005 the cap was $85.5M. Last year it was $102M. The cap in 2007 is $109M. So while it went up 20% in 2006 with new TV deals, it went up just 5% this year, and even that is probably artificially high from the new CBA. It isn't going to keep going up like this.

2. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

This might be the most rediculous thing that I have ever heard. VY is not a dominant QB, Jeff Fisher is not a HOF coach, and our D is nothing compared to NE.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

They're getting paid the same as they would last year. 1 dollar last season = 10 dollars now. It's like, I don't know...
    Like I said, it's like paying in Yen.
    a candybar will cost you 100 yen. Sounds expensive, but it's not.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You come up with very strange analogies.

5. No, $1 last season is actually like $1.05 now. I just gave you last year's cap totals vs this year's (and even 2005). It's not that hard...

Yes, it's very much like that.

6. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I can officially verify that Pats fans are typically big M*******s having lived in Beantown for 6 years.

I was at the Pats/Jets game when Bledsoe went down. Earlier in the game about three rows in front of me I watched as a couple of Pats fans yelled absurd profanities at some Jets fans nearby. The Jets fans had young kids with them and the two dads walked over to the Pats fans and nicely asked them not to yell such profanities with so many kids in the section. One of the Pats fans punched one of the guys square in the nose knocking him backwards down the stairs. Then they jumped the other Jets dad and people started crushing each other to get out of the way. I was sitting next to a 8 year old girl as the crowd in front of us parted revealing one of the Pats fans on top of a Jets guy, hands around his neck choking him purple. The girl next to me started screaming and I picked her up and got her out of the way.

Is this the typical Pats fan?

When security showed up the Pats guys swore the Jets fans had started it. Everyone in the section stood up, pointing at the Pats fans yelling "They started it!". The police tried to take all four guys away but the crowd stopped the police and pleaded with them to not kick out the Jets fans. It was a site to see.

But yes... Most Pats fans are big asses.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That video would have been pretty great, except...

1. There were 2 mispellings in the 5 or 6 sentences in it.
    2. We didn't end up having a winning season. Not losing is not the same as winning.

8. AFJoe

AFJoe Guest

Is the starter of the post actually stating that Vince Young is a dominant QB? Like Tom Brady? That could be the best post OF ALL TIME!!!

Vince Young will struggle at best in his NFL career. Look at Vick, who is much more mobile and with a much stronger arm than Young, and how much success he had early in his career, then people figured him out. Now how good is he?
    Vince Young will not lead the Titans to even a winning record this year, mark it down. Dominant QB, oh my gosh, I just pi$$ed my astronaut diaper!

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

At least we do not get swept by the Texans :banned:

10. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

VY is Dominant QB....

If VY can get Fish a few Championships...he will be a HOF coach

Or D does suck....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar