Washburn Experimenting with DL Positions

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Aren't you making a big assumption that Washburn is acting alone here? Maybe, probably this was something that was discussed openingly between the DC and Washburn..you think. Not like these guys work at opposite ends of town or something.

I have a feeling we were going to try more moving around guys and 3-4 looks last year but with all the injuries the coaches were simply not able to do it. Long is a guy who could play some LDE and Odom was being used some as an OLB in 3-4 looks in camp and I bet we see more of that with Ford and Odom this year.

I'm not a huge Schwartz fan either but don't be so naive to think that the DC doesn't know and isn't a part of what is going on. Washburn isn't doing this in a vacuum and I wouldn't doubt Fisher has a finger in it as well.

Also, consider another issue. Maybe Schwartz wasn't the one that insisted Thompson play. Maybe it was Fisher (barn yard pics?) who insisted Thompson be the starter and it does seem like Fisher is the one behind moving our 1st round pick away from Thompson's position.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Interesting perspective soxcat..

Schwartz helping washburn do his job? Boy that doesn't say much about washburn.

All i know is that bellichick, cohwer and billick always have good defenses even in off years. Jeff fisher has had a top 10 defense 4 times in 12 years and 2 of those were in his first 2 seasons in 95 and 96. The last top 10 team was 2002.

The head coach projects a certain image an attitude a culture. The head coach certainly hires those who work under him. In jeff fisher's 12 years the average ranking in total defense was 15.75. Wow great coaching there! Try joe average.

Almost all of us agree that schwartz needs to go but maybe he shouldn't be alone.

3. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

To go along wiht Rolltides's point with Dawkins and Reed the Colts D was revamped because of one key guy............any guesses on who and what position he plays?

Bob Sanders is the most important player on that defense not Freeney. He is the emotional leader and stuffs the run like a pro-bowl LB at what 5'8 204 lbs. He makes WR nervous when they cross the middle because he is going to lay the wood and he sets the tone of the D when he came back off his injury it was like the colts were given a shot of adrenaline.

Saftey is one of the most important positions and once that Saftey lays the wood on some unsuspecting WR or TE that gets the rest of the Defense fired up and when he can stuff the run like a LB he's special. Why draft a kid that is a special Safter prospect and change him. I'm lost on the thought process there I really am.

Hopefully we get Paul Oliver in the Supplemental Draft and Move Griff back to FS. I would actually be excited about our Secondary......at the least move Griff back you know he wants to play there.

Without Oliver:

CB-Harper
    CB-Finnegan
    NB-Smith
    FS-Griffin
    SS-Hope

If we drafter Oliver (fingers crossed)

CB-Harper
    CB-Oliver
    NB-Finnegan
    FS-Griffin
    SS-Hope

Both look stronger than our projected lineup now IMO.............IDK am I the only one thinking this is a bad decision for Griff's career. Especially if Lowry wins out since he is so young and has promise but Griff has more obviously but they will want to keep Lowry there probably and make Griff a permanant CB......UHHHH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar