Washburn Experimenting with DL Positions

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

The only experiment here is moving guys around, which is what a lot of the good defenses in this league do anyway. You want to dictate matchups, not let your opponent know right where your guys will be on every play. Having a CB play the same side of the field every time just tells the QB and the OC of the other team exactly what to look for during every play. Then they line up to get the best matchup for them, and run the play. We are left reacting.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I'm a little concerned that moving players from right to left is considered a big experiment by our coaching staff.... it's not that difficult.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I think Jeff meant that multiple facets of the defensive scheme are experiencing experimentation, not just merely having Ends switch sides. the secondary is also having fun by playing musical chairs with it DB's

I'm all for it !!

give me the best guys in their best slot
    don't much care if it means a Safety playing Corner or a Tackle playing End ... as long as that #32 ranking improves

4. Lumebray

Lumebray Virtus Et Honor

if it works, i wont complain

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

More of an experiment would be trying some more 3-4 or 3 man fronts. We have some guys that may switch up and play those different roles well (not a whole roster built around it, but enough to play it some). I always liked the idea of confusing the O and showing them different looks....seems to work well for the Pats and other 3-4 teams.

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Micheal Griffin drafted as a Saftey moved to CB I'd call that experimenting.

I'm still 100% against that decision though.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Washburn has been here since 99..

He hasn't yet fiqured out where guys are best utilized? It's like munchack playing bell out of position while stewart sat and piller was not blocking anyone at guard.

Gut's comments don't wash because washburn is the supposed expert on the DL the personnel and what they do best. Schwartz would be getting his best information from washburn. Is schwartz supposed to coach all the positions now? It's a team effort but washburn is the main point guy when it comes to the d-lineman. Don't tell me we have been playing guys out of position for the last several years.

Note that anyone who has been to a camp practice knows that the coordinators don't spend a huge amount of time with the lineman. Schwartz is usually working with the 5v5 drills and the coverages so it is washburn that needs to give him the right information on how to mutilize players up front..

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yep..

Micheal Griffin drafted as a Saftey moved to CB I'd call that experimenting.

I'm still 100% against that decision though.
    --------------------

Two of the most valuable defensive players this decade are ed reed and brian dawkins. If they think he can be that kind of player put him at safety and leave him there.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Correctamundo.

I don't put much into anything we hear from OTA. But on one hand, you have word that Schwartz is experimenting with the DL to allow them to play to their strengths then you see them trying to force our first-round pick to corner just because they feel there is more depth at FS than CB.

At the risk of reading too much into it, appears the Titans D has little identity and is lacking direction. Maybe finishing last in the league does that.

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

No doubt our defense has lost it's identity... and looking at the players we had on the roster last year there is no way we should have been last in the league, IMO. Come on -Haynesworth and Robaire Smith and we couldn't stop the run??

That's why I loved the Griffin pick - he should help bring some of that aggressiveness back. Look at the Colts post-season miracle - defense has a lot to do with attitude and effort... I think this experimenting with moving players around is mostly intended to serve notice to some underperforming vets that this isn't business as usual. If they find some interesting combinations while they're at it, then great. These guys aren't out there on an island - it's all about how they play as a unit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar