Washburn Excited About Defensive Line Rookies

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Jacob Ford at least looked good on tape though. I doubt it'll take an injury to sideline this other guy.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Forget it. Titans valued Hayes enough to go up and get him. No way you PS a player like that.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Only guy who is a realistic PS candidate this year is Cary Williams. Every other player was drafted in the 4th or higher.

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Jacob Ford was a mid-6th rounder. Hayes is a early 4th rounder. I don't remember any more tape of Ford than there is of Hayes. If Washburn likes the guy, I like the guy. I really enjoyed the last sentence of that story.

"Everybody thought, 'Wow, what a reach.' They had no clue."
    'Nuff said.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tyE5zZUVjOM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tyE5zZUVjOM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Call me crazy, but if they used a 4th round pick on Hayes, I'm guessing they probably know a little more about the guy than we do.

(Which isn't tough, since nobody can seem to find any film on the guy.)

A couple years ago, the Bears picked up Mark Anderson in the 5th round; he ended up with 12 sacks as a rookie.

In 2004, the Chiefs picked up a no-name DE from Idaho State in round 4.....kid's name was Jared Allen. He ended up with 9 sacks as a rookie. (Interesting side note, here.....Allen was projected as a 6th or 7th round pick, but the Chiefs took him in round 4. What a reach, huh?)

I realize that everybody here knows far more about scouting than anybody in the Titans' front office....but at some point, you've got to think maybe they know a little more than the Mel Kipers of the world. (Think about it......if Kiper and Mayock were really that good, don't you think they'd be on an NFL payroll by now?)

7. He'll probably get another year on IR to rehab, but if a guy doesn't recover from a torn Achilles after 2 years, he probably isn't coming back at all.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think this brings an interesting viewpoint on what is a "reach".

To me, if the guy would be there a round later, then he is a reach. The Tom Brady example, he was a 6th rounder... if some team had traded up to take him in the 4th, then Tom Brady would've been a reach.

Now the player might turn out exceptional, like Brady. So in the longrun, you would say the team got tremendous value out of the pick. But that wouldn't change the fact that the team "reached" in drafting him, because he would've been available later.

To me, even if the guy turns out to be a HOFer, the pick will still have been a reach. (But that's cause I don't buy the "someone was gonna pick him right after us" story. Which I don't care to continue to debate)

Anyway, we'll soon find out what value we got out of this pick.'

One thing's for certain, all the coaches seem to really be going out on the line on this draft. For their sake, the draft picks better turn out to be great value.

9. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

We are going to be ok fellas!!! We got quicker and younger on this draft class, if Washburn sees potential then by god there is potential.. I can't wait till they put them pads in july and see whats' really popping!! GO TITANS JUST GO!!

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

That might be a valid definition of a reach. Good job.
    Now does the GM use Tarot cards or a crystal ball or some other kind of divination to determine ahead of time when a player is going to get picked?

I'll agree to a point that a team might have a feel about what other teams are thinking or how they are rating a guy but realistically a team has to determine the kid's value and take him at that spot or risk not getting him. Saying after the fact that you could have waited another round or two to get a guy is pure speculation and nothing more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar