Was Jeff Fisher really the problem?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanup1982, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The NFL isn't "all things being even"..
    Fisher inherits the right talent and he could be successful.
    He could also finally be scene nationally in the light we have scene in him in for some time.
    No NFL HC has won the Super Bowl with two separate teams. Nobody.
    To me that says a lot having all the right pieces.

2. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Fisher just may end up in St. Louis but I doubt he'd take that job

3. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Fisher was fired because after all the time he's been here he never won a championship and had more controversies than big wins in his final couple years. Even if we were in the bottom of the NFL this year I'd still be happy he was fired.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If Fisher is wanting a HC/GM kind of thing, the St. Louis job might appeal to him.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The only way I'd want in in STL is if that O-Line can be fixed in the off season. They're a bunch of Amano's.

6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

h5

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I don't talk about Fisher like he was some perpetual 2-14 coach, I talk about him like he fleeced this franchise with mediocrity for much of 16 years at HC, because that is what he did.

Trying to put words in my mouth? Really? If you need to recreate my perspective to try to give yours some clout, who are you really arguing with? Might want to get that head checked.

Did Fisher have good years? Sure, but his biggest consistency was mediocrity, and that my friend is an undeniable fact. You keep talking about facts? Let's break it down.

• Fisher's all time average as head coach is .542. That's around 8.7 wins a season. Mediocre.
    • Out of 16 seasons as head coach omitting the interim year, he has 10 seasons at .500 or lower. Mediocre.
    • That's 6 out of 16 years above .500. Mediocre.
    • That means we got a crap season out of Fisher 62% of the time. Mediocre.

You like statistics and facts? Here they are.

Fisher had a lot of good talent, but didn't know what to do with it. Bud Adams had to force his hand in playing Young when Collins was obviously done. Zach Piller Had to have a major injury before our line could be good in '06. Everyone except Fisher knew he needed to be replaced. Lamont Thompson. You're trying to convince me that Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady would have been little more than a tool to get the ball to the running back if coached by Fisher? Ironically, that's how Brees spent much of the earliest part of his career in San Diego, playing for a coach who didn't know how to use a QB.

8. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

Like who?

Also, your stats about Fisher's tenure are pretty meaningless as a stand alone argument. If you really wanted to prove a point, or at least bring some relevancy to these stats you'd compare them to other good coaches around the league, and the league average of wins per season of currently tenured coaches.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Marks must go!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fisher had quality talent for 5 of the years he was here.

Not saying he was a victim of a crappy team but if the biggest complaint was that he didn't win the super bowl you have to ask yourself how many seasons did he honestly have more talent than the other 31 teams?

99, 2000, 2003, 2008 probably really the only realistic years. Look at the teams that we lost to and the talent they had. The 99 Rams, the 2000 Ravens and the 2003 Pats were great teams.

Another guy to look at is Steve Mcnair who was not a great post season QB (6 tds 11 ints in 10 games). He was often banged up and not 100%. Mcnair's playoff record is 5-5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar