Was Jeff Fisher really the problem?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanup1982, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

With fihser we rand the 4 man mush rush, we gave the wr a ten yard cushion, it was clear by the formation we are running the ball, and we never put or foot on an opponent throat! Let them linger milk a lead and lose.

So damn mad only post of the night, what we have now I am done!

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fisher couldn't have been that bad he had a winning record over his last 5 years here with 2 POS backup QBs starting all the games. Think about it.

That said i would like those who say Munchack is like Fisher to make the case beyond just whining about a loss. I don't see the similarity our offense and defense are different and when has Fisher ever had a team near the bottom in rushing attempts?

A new coach inherits average talent and goes 4-4 in his first 8 games. And what about that is a surprise?

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Jeff Fisher was a problem because this team is pretty damn talentless and Fisher was the primary shot caller when it came to personnel.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yes. Jeff Fisher was the problem. And yes, it's looking like Munchak is also a problem. BUT, it is just his first season as a HC so some slack must be given. RollTide actually made a good point.... he's 4-4 after inheriting average, at BEST, talent.

That said, so far Munchak leaves A LOT to be desired. He does some things I really like, e.g. going for it on 4th down every once in awhile and not always settling for FG's. But then there are other aspects where this looks exactly like a Jeff Fisher coached football team (the soft defense with a lead, stupid mistakes, undisciplined play, apparent lack of accountability for the players, unwillingness to make necessary adjustments, "stay the course blah blah", etc, etc, etc).

And call this nitpicking/stupid/whatever the heck you wanna call it... but I have a problem with Munchak's demeanor and apparent lack of savvy on gameday. The deer in headlights look is getting old. I said this in the gameday thread and I'll say it again, it really sucks that our head coach constantly looks like the least confident person on our sidelines. I'm just not so sure this guy has what it takes to be a successful NFL head coach. I pray I'm wrong but I wouldn't bet more than $2 on it.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

WTF? Vince Young was not Fisher's call at all. And Fisher had little say over draft picks while Reese was there. That's why he wanted Reese out.

Fisher has never, never been the primary personnel guy but he did get more power after Reese was gone. Still the GM calls most of the shots and you know that.

6. Fry

How long has Reese been gone? Since 2007. Look at our drafts after that. They've been abysmal. Kenny Britt and Chris Johnson have been the only playmakers we've drafted since Floyd Reese was let go.

No talent on the defensive line. No talent at linebacker. Nothing at the skill positions.

We do have a mean special teams unit though.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm not saying Fisher was a great coach and it doesn't matter what you might think of him as a personnel guy. The reality is that we have coaches who have the luxury of having a great QB and Fisher for most of his career did not.

McCarthey has Rogers.

Belipuke has Brady.

Peyton has Brees and Tomlin has Roethlisberger.

For the last 5 years it was VY and KC and they were not in the same league as those guys.

All that said i don't see how Munchack = Fisher. Different styles and different systems. I don't see the comparison.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So don't hire Fisher to be your be your GM. Doesn't mean he was a terrible coach. The GM has more power over drafting players and the GM has the power to fire the head coach.

9. Fry

I never once said Jeff Fisher was a bad coach. He was crappy personnel guy.

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

We're .500 with a new coach and an old QB! Oh noes! Blah blah blah blah blabbity blabbity blah blah blah! BLAH! :irked:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar