Was Fisher's comments on Volek right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 20, 2006.

?
  1. Yes. It was a good move.

37 vote(s)
    78.7%
  2. No. It was the wrong move.

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Fisher made the comment that he was not going to play a guy who repeatedly demands a trade. More than demanding a trade, I think Fisher was annoyed with several things.

Apparently, Volek lied to him about his preparation in the off-season. I'm guessing here but that probably has to do with his knowledge of the offense or his committment to being the starter for this team come hell or high water.

Apparently they weren't happy with Volek's play during the pre-season. So in comes Kerry Collins.

I don't think Collins was handed the starting job on the day he signed the dotted line. I think the Titans figured 2 things. This would light a fire under Volek and whomever was best would be the starting QB.

Volek had another idea the day KC came in. I don't want to compete. I don't deserve competition. You handed me the keys to the car and I'm not giving them back.

Unfortunately, things don't work that way. Fisher implied that Volek didn't prepare like a starting QB. He certainly hasn't handled this situation like a starting QB should. I think this immediate demand (again) to be traded is what broke the camel's back and was the end for Volek in Ten.

To the Titans credit, they didn't disparage him and traded him for only a 6th rnd pick. Generous of them I thought.

It would have been nice if both sides wished each other well and left it at that.

Volek apparently couldn't be happy getting the trade he wanted...going to a team that looks playoff bound and playing in sunny SD. Taking parting shots shows a lack of class...

I have no problem explaining the situation within reason.

I just wish Fisher would keep that fire in getting the team to play.

Gut

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Can someone point me to where Volek is taking shots at anyone in the Titans organisation or any of the players?

All I've read is he said he felt like he was a scapegoat and that somebody or someone within the organisation was trying to make him look bad, no names mentioned. And I certainly haven't read a single bad word from him about his teammates.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Vig, you can feel the tone and evergy of Volek from reading the news links that filter into this site. That audio stuff w/Fisher was priceless. If you haven't picked up on the Volek 'tude ... I don't know man... you can get it from The Tennessean. It wouldn't surprise me if he used the term "the shaft" while on TV with Neil O'Donnell. Volek is going to be in California soon where everything is normal so maybe he'll keep his purdy mouth shut.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I know he said he felt shafted, got a raw deal etc. but I don't believe he called out anyone in particular. He just said he felt mistreated and the Fisher rips into him with a distinctly personnaly attack, even bringing Volek's wife into it (which was a disgusting move by the way).

5. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

Horse****!

6. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Sarah Walsh, who used to work for Nashville's ABC affiliate, is now in DC. Not surprised if she is keeping up with what is going on down here and reporting on it in DC.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Care to explain what exactly is horse****?

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Excremet from the horse's anus?

9. SteveH

SteveH Starter

:ha: Beautiful!
    Horse sh*t indeed, like the whole f'ing season so far..
    Thing is all the old guard, McNair, Wycheck respected Fish. He turned the team round, led them into the Playoffs, the S'Bowl etc
    This new team, they've come in, seen the stars leave, and all they've known is losses and bad seasons..
    Who knows, perhaps they'll have a bit more respect for Fish after this..
    I always think Bulluck is the heartbeat.. and that's what worries me, didn't he say he doesn't know what's going on with the O on the field, one minute it's one QB, the next minute it's someone else.. He sounds cheesed off.
    We need all the players firing and I'm just hoping Fish uses some of this anger to light them up now..
    Hell, he's got nothing to lose

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

What is horse**** is the implication that Fisher "brought his wife into it." He only mentioned that she was in the room when Billy was thanking Fisher for helping him get the trade he's been wanting. Billy was saying that there was no hard feelings and the like, then the next day he's telling the papers that he got a raw deal and was abused and all that... Fisher was upset by how disingenuous Volek was. Perhaps Fisher should have done nothing... but I'm going to stick to my theory that says word came from above to make a statement. I don't think Fisher wanted to make that statement, but Fisher was just doing what had to be done; what was asked of him. I was right about Volek throwing a hissie fit at the sight of Collins a few weeks back... so I have reason to believe I may be correct in this conclusion as well.

Vig, that place you live; KjĂžbmandehavn, have you been there your entire life? Maybe where you are from Fisher mentioning Voleks wife might be out of place but here, in the United States, in that specific context, the only thing Fisher said was that the conversation took place right in front of her. He was only saying she was in the room. Sometimes I wonder if there is a language or culture barrier here when talking with you. The only critcism that can be made at Fisher is whether it was best to say anything at all to Volek's smack.

How was Fisher's comment regarding Volek's wife "disgusting"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar