Was Fisher's comments on Volek right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 20, 2006.

?
  1. Yes. It was a good move.

37 vote(s)
    78.7%
  2. No. It was the wrong move.

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

For the sake of argument, if the Titans are going to make the move to bring on new coordinators or totally clean house, it needs to be done after this season. It takes at least a season and sometimes two before a team does well with a new offense. If the Titans are gearing up to begin a run by '08 as Young enters his third season, then any wholesale changes need to be in place when the Titans enter '07.

2. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

"....every player treated equally?"
    IMO, He felt that PacMan's personality warranted something different. Was it right? Probably not. But that was then and this is now. I don't believe that is an issue in the locker room this year.
    Chris Brown?
    His agents brought up trade. Fisher said no. That was the end of it.
    As Fisher said in his statement, ".... not play a player that DEMANDS a trade time after time...". And the agent didn't bring it up because "Brown didn't believe in the system". He did it because L. White was drafted.
    Sirmon
    Same thing. After he asked for a trade they told him he was not being replaced but moved over. That was the end of it.
    How so?
    He defended the organization and staff, and set the record straight. I don't think he lowered himself at all. That is where you and I respectfully disagree.
    I think he kept everything "in house" to actually protect Volek and the possible trade and his trade value. The public has moaned and groaned since Collins was brought in and Volek was demoted wanting to hear from Fisher. There you go. He spoke. I don't think he would have ever said anything if Volek hadn't said what he did just hours after agreeing not to.
    As far as the timing of Collins....this could have been more of the Fisher v. Reese saga. I don't know.

IMO, if he has "lost the team", and things are in "such dissaray" as some have suggested....this was the first piece to getting it all back.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We could debate this on a different thread. Just to clarify- if we see better production the whole debate goes away. IMO, these players don't have faith in their coordinators.

4. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Fisher should have kept his mouth shut and spared us the Wednesday night sissy fight! What he did was undermine his own locker room. Volek got bent over by the Titans and he smiled through it all. He earned that last jab.

'm mad that Fisher thinks we're slow. Fisher stated that the mistrust began when drew showed up asking for BV's trade. He said that BV lost his trust when he lied during mini-camp week. So if you and everyone in Titans management lost faith in Billy, what took replacing him so long?

There is a lot more going on. Hopefully Billy won't talk any morer and force Jeff to talk crazy again.

Think people, why all this drama and passion for the trade of a #3 qb.

Not all players have lost their desire to win. But they lost trust and respect of their Coach because they know what really happened.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It's really deeper than a #3 QB issue here. It's Fisher jockeying to maintain control of the team. IMO, what Fisher did and said was completely necessary to re-establish his authority. I was most impressed how "out of character" he appeared during the press conference. I don't think it was a "sissy-fight" at all.

What, in Fisher's tenure, has lead anyone to believe he won't approach things in a professional manner. I think it is naive to believe that Fisher somehow took a personal vendetta out against Volek and now the team is not playing for him. Fisher is on a powder-keg with this issue because his team isn't producing- which is the real story anyway.

From what I hear, the players have not lost trust in Fisher at all. The "business" dealings and poor unit production has led many players to question Floyd and the coordinators.

6. skitch

I agree. However....
    According to elfinmagic's "insider info", the players HAVE lost trust in their coach.:ha:

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Why would you want to sack Chow after this season if that's the case?

@Skitch:
    When Volek asks to be traded because he's being "replaced" by Collins why is that different from when Brown was "replaced" by White or Sirmon by Thornton?
    In all 3 cases were someone brought in from the outside that the players perceived were replacing them and they subsequently asked for trades, yet Volek is the only one who is punished for it.

Remember that Volek's other trade requests came after he thought McNair was about to retire, but then decided to keep playing. Surely Volek had hoped to get an opportunity to start, but when McNair decided to stay he figured he'd have a better shot elsewhere so he asks to be traded if McNair stays. I can't fault him for that at all.

8. skitch

Sirmon realized he was being moved over, not replaced...so he dropped the trade request.
    Brown's request came from his new agents and when he realized he would still be starting...he dropped the trade request.
    Volek did NOT drop the trade request. Apparently it was daily since Collins came in.
    It's not that I fault him for asking for the trade either. I was just pointing out the differences between his request(s) compared to the Brown / Sirmon request and the fact that he continued to request it daily.

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

and you know that how? You are taking Fisher's word as truth.

Remember Volek told his agent to stop all the trade talk. So I am taking that as truth since his agent had been quiet since then

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Stage 2: Arrogance gives way to paranoia, which creates a need for a scapegoat. Again incorrectly assuming his public to be intellectually inferior, the gamble is made that none will remember the details of previous dealings and events.

The line between fantasy and reality blurs further in the slide to greater incompetence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar