Was Fisher's comments on Volek right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 20, 2006.

?
  1. Yes. It was a good move.

37 vote(s)
    78.7%
  2. No. It was the wrong move.

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fisher admitted that he rarely speaks out as he did today on a player. Was it right or wrong move?

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I think it was, just to not let Billy have the last word and undermine his clout with the team.
    When someone slings mud on you, you have to react or it sticks.

Maybe Fisher is feeling a little hot seat?

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

If what he said is true then I dont really see how you can say his comments are wrong. However, it comes across as nothing more than trying to save face, because in my opinion it makes them look even worse for waiting so long to bring Collins in.

4. Hoffa

That's not the question.
    The question is, was he wrong or not to speak out, instead of saying nothing;.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I understand the question. And like I said, if what he said is true, then you cant say they are wrong of him to make because there have been a lot of questions concerning Volek's quick fall from favor. However, it still doesnt explain why they didnt get Collins until a week before the regular season, which to me makes it look like he is trying to save some face.

6. Hoffa

You can say he was wrong to say anything, just move on and let the situation die.

Or, you can say he was right (like for my reason above).

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

noone knew that Billy had slung mud

this was out of character for Fisher
    and makes the trade of Volek look like revenge

8. Hoffa

Everybody that read Jim Wyatts story knew about the mud.
    That's what prompted Fishers comments.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Red flag #1: Billy asks for trade last season. Guess what? So has Sirmon and Brown. I guess that got stuck in Fisher's crawl too yet they remain on the roster.

Red flag #2: Billy is untruthful the week after McNair is traded. In what way? Apparently, trust was broken for Fisher which is a shame. But the Titans wait 10 days before the season to do something about it? Was the fib okey-dokey right up to a couple of weeks before the season?

Didn't Pacman ask for a day off from practice to mourn his fallen friend in the ATL only to be arrested just hours before the funeral outside a club wasted? Maybe that isn't a direct lie to Fisher.

Red flag #3: Volek asks for a trade when they sign Collins. See "red flag #1". Who really believes you are going to pay a player $2 mil to be the #3? Who bit on the "we want to bring in competition" BS. Anyone?

As desperate as it was, once the decision was made to bring in Collins 10 days before the season, the decision was made he would be the starter.

What bothers me is why Fisher just didn't say at the signing of Collins "we gave Volek every chance and felt he wasn't getting the job done. We decided based on a full camp and most of the preseason that we needed the experience and made a decision. In hindsight, we should have made it sooner but held out faith that Billy would develop once we moved into the preseason. We did what we felt we needed to to give this team the best chance to win."

I understand the decision to bring in Collins. I don't agree with the timing of bringing him in. The Volek decision needed to be made much sooner.

Obviously, Fisher felt Collins wouldn't be struggling as much as he is. It's poured fuel on the issue. If Scaife catches that pass in game 1 and kept it competitive last Sunday, this thing would be a dead issue. We'd be calling Volek a whiner right now.

Fisher's comments, IMO, was unprofessional and smells of locker room damage control.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I couldnt agree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar