Was anyone else disappointed with The Hobbit?

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by GeronimoJackson, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

It was a good movie, and while I really liked the character development with the Dwarves, my issue with the movie was that it couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to be The Hobbit or a Lord of the Rings prequel. Bringing back everyone from LOTR seemed almost desperate to remind us the film was a prelude to the LOTR trilogy and all the cameos actually made the film less effective IMO, like Elijah Wood's cameo, which served absolutely no purpose other than Peter Jackson winking to the fans "hey, remember this guy?! Oh, you do, well, just in case you didn't..."

Even the music score was from LOTR. I guess I wanted The Hobbit to be its own thing. My other issue was the inconsistent tone of the film, it couldn't make up its mind if it was supposed to be a Disney movie or an epic mythology.

Other than Gandalf and Gollum, old Bilbo should have been the only one returning, and even old Bilbo wasn't necessary.

2. pepsidriver24

pepsidriver24 @snydzie

I enjoyed the prequel-ness to it all. It does take away from some of the originality of The Hobbit, but I have to say my favorite scene was the meeting at Rivendell where Sarumon showed up. And that was not in the book at all. It was an eerie feeling to watch that already knowing the events to come. I look forward to learning more about the origins of Middle Earth and the One Ring just as much as I look forward to reliving the journey to Misty Mountain.

3. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I loved it.. I hate that they milk it for multiple parts though.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It was great.

Better than the Fellowship imo (on a comparison of first movies). He took some liberties but it's mostly faithful to the book and the added extras were pretty cool.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Loved LOTR. LOVED them.

Was "meh" on The Hobbit. Way too long and the stakes felt too low (and totally manufactured when the film tried to raise them).

6. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

It was better than any of the lotr movies for me, and I really thought it would be a pile of sh#t before I saw it.

7. Cajun_Titan_33

Cajun_Titan_33 Pro Bowler

I actually didn't mind them "milking" it into a trilogy. I thought they used the whole 3 hours very well. I wasn't a huge LOTR fan. But, being more into movies now, I'm excited about what's to come from this trilogy.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

The Hobbit was not a long book. It should not be a long movie. And NOBODY from LOTR should be there except Gandalf and Gollum.
    I've been a Middle-earther for most of my life. I LOVED LOTR under Peter Jackson's direction (though the Eowyn love story was unnecessary and the Scouring of the Shire was omitted). I have had no interest in seeing The Hobbit simply because if it's being milked into three parts- or even just two- there's things in there that should not be.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Don't forget it's more than just the Hobbit. It's using materials from other sources from Tolkien to bridge the Hobbit and LOTRs...as well as his own stuff it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar