WARNING to all DISH NETWORK Users!

Discussion in 'Gear' started by skitch, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

This is not something I normally do....but if you have satellite..... YOU NEED TO READ THIS!

In June lightning struck our house. I was sitting in the living room watching TV when it happened. In a flash I literally saw a streak come into the window, hit our screen (we have a HD projector and a motorized screen), travel across the chasis of the screen, down the power cable, and into the wall. (No hearing for about 30 minutes, but otherwise everyone was OK.)

It blew EVERYTHING in that room.... projector, screen motor, cable modem, Wii system, surround system, all Polk Audio speakers, a camera charger, DVD player, satellite DVR box, a laptop, cordless phone system, and other things in that room. PLUS.... HVAC unit, refrigerator, DVD and surround sound in another room.

We started to immediately make calls to insurance company, satellite provider, etc.......

DISH NETWORK - We asked if we needed to put it on our insurance claim. They said.... "NO. It is covered under your service and warranty. We will send you a new box. Just send us the old one back. All at NO CHARGE."

Insurance - Paid for everything (minus deductible of course).

We have been very happy with DISH Network for right at 2 years. They sent a new box and everything was great. Our monthly bill is on an auto draft from a checking account. Usually $100 per month.

TODAY....... MID AUGUST:
    -My wife calls to tell me that DISH has drafted $458.00 from our account.
    -I IMMEDIATELY call DISH and told my story. I was put on hold for about 45 minutes and finally spoke to someone in the "Executive blah, blah department.

- It started off promising. The first thing she did was give me her name and direct number for future reference.
    - Then she DROPPED THE BOMB...............
    - She informed me that we had been charged $358 for the box we returned because they looked at it and decided that ....... ARE YOU READY FOR THIS???????.......

THE FAILURE WAS NOT CAUSED BY LIGHTNING, BUT RATHER.......... (I swear I am not making this up)..... INSECT INFESTATION!

Now, do we claim to be neat freaks, or the cleanest people in the world....NO! But "insect infestation" in a satallite box in my friggin' living room!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!
    We have dogs, and in 8 years I have never even seen a flea in my house.

I tried to calmly explain that it was impossible. The box was working at the moment the lightning struck....I know....I was there!!!!!!!
    She didn't care and informed me that they money would NOT be returned to my account.
    I tried the nice route, then I tried the other. I never used profanity or threatened anything other than to move to Direct TV. I did tell her that this was a rip off and that they seemed to be using this as an excuse to take $350 from us.

FAIL! I asked to speak to a supervisor and she informed me that none of them were available. She could not give me a time when they would be, only that I could call her number that she gave me back to see.
    I asked if I would talk directly to her again and she informed me that it would go to her voice mail. I could leave a message for her and she would call me back anywhere from 48 to 72 hours later.

Here's the kicker...... I tried her number 15 minutes later..... the message was... "I'm sorry. The person you are trying to reach has a full mailbox. You CAN NOT leave a message at this time."

This is possibly the biggest rip off I have ever witnessed. Not only have they taken money from my account, but they have completely stonewalled me from even talking to anyone else. This may be the maddest I have ever been in my life!!!!!!

Just a warning to all...... BEWARE OF DISH NETWORK!!!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

while I feel your pain, you should have, and still should, filed it with the insurance company.

I have been a Dish customer since like 96 or something, anyways over a decade now. There have been issues of course, but nothing like this. Usually small billing issues when I change service or equiptment or something. Worst I can remember was when I leased a top of the line DVR for some reason, then when I returned it they billed me for an additional month, then when I complained about that they decided I never returned it ...
    anyways they finally decided I did return the machine and credited my account for the over billing.

Anyways good luck getting the money back and seriously I would refile the insurance claim if possible. Heck you already paid the deductible so there is no harm in asking.

3. That completely sucks. I'd consider threatening to file against them in small claims court and see if that gets their attention...

But it's not such an abnormal practice, unfortunately. Companies, especially the big ones, lie about things like that all the time to make a buck. For example, my grandmother had termite damage a few years ago and Terminix tried to claim that it was water damage. This despite the termites found living in the wall...

4. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

I hope you can cancel the autodraft on your checking account.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

in a situation like this I would have taken pics of any units shipped back to leasing agents (Dish), since the unit is already damaged, there wouldn't be any harm in popping off the lid to see if it had indeed blown a transformer/cap/etc..

then you'd have proof that the receiver wasn't full of insects

good luck

6. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Go ahead and sue. It is the only way.
    Demand damages for your time spent trying to resolve the issue, and legal expenses.

This is fraud, plain and simple.

Also, post the story on every consumer advocacy site you can find.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yup. I posted a complaint I had with La-z-boy over a sofa they sold me and that thing popped up for nearly 10 years anytime anyone put the keyword "la-z-boy quality" in Google.

That'll teach 'em to screw with the kahuna.

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Going to DTV?

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol - I like La-Z-boy, but My vibrating heated one quite vibrating and heating after only a decade. I'm not replacing it cause it is still fine as a chair, but I sure miss the vibrating and the heat:rant:

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Go postal....uh I mean yeah sue their asses off!!! :grrr:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar