Warmack vs Cooper

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, May 22, 2013.

?
  1. Chance Warmack

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Jonathan Cooper

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I recall hearing former Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah on a podcast discussing drafting offensive lineman. He said of all the positions he scouted he always had a really good feel for grading o-lineman and was rarely wrong in his assessments. He thought where people often erred when grading lineman was placing too much emphasis on measurables and not enough on game tape, level of competition, and attitude. He said many of the best olineman have bad bodies, with a lot of weight in the butt and upper legs and have played collegiately at an elite level. These guys don't always excel at the combine. He maintained that often the leaner, super athletic, combine darlings struggle with their base against much stronger elite NFL defensive lineman (something that doesn't always show up against the lower level of competition in college ball).

I already was quite happy with the selection of Warmack... this made me happier.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I disagree...

3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

People put WAY to much stock in the combine. If I were a GM, the I would use the combine just to make sure players are healthy and as a tie breaker between 3 guys if I can't decide. My assessments on players would be 99% based on tape.

I mean, if a guy us super athletic, but can't perform in college, what makes you think he will do it in the NFL?

Good football player>good athlete

Not saying this is true of Cooper... just in general.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I didn't think it was close between Warmack and Cooper for the reasons given above. It isn't about looking pretty out there. It is about not getting knocked back against what are gong to be elite DTs in the NFL. Warmack has the better build and has proven himself againt the better competition. And the one area Cooper has an edge in getting to the 2nd level Warmack is pretty good as well. Warmack is superior at not just getting knocked back but moving guys off the spot and is a perfect fit at RG for us.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Thats the way it should be, you're absolutely right.

I mostly use the combine grades as a yes or no for guys Im on the fence about. I think its completely ass backwards to judge players based solely off combine times.

6. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Maybe he had terrible coaching and was being used the wrong way?

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We call those 5th, 6th and 7th round picks.

8. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Unless your name is Chris Henry lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar