Want Munchak back yet?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

It was a different circumstance too. Much was shooting for the playoffs with the idea that the team was not too far away. Driven by a dying old man to get one more shot at glory. Not a bad idea but it did not work. Turns out the team is not that good. Whis has been given the green light to tear the team down. Not that they are trying to lose or 'tanking' but the kid gloves are off. He wants to see who can play in his new systems.

2. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Coaches who force players to play to their system are not good coaches. I've said this for a long time. A good coach adapts to the players he has. The verdict is still out on Whiz. I'll give him 3 years max.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I still think punting was the right call. 3 minutes left in your own territory. Yes their O had been moving the ball but our D had been coming up with big plays when it counted. You punt the ball and back them up deep and the pressure is on them to drive the field with the game on the line. If you go for it, and get it, yes you probably win the game. But if you go for it, and don't get it, now the pressure is on you to stop them on a short field.

It's a gamble no matter what and there probably is no definitive right or wrong answer. If they had made it I'd be sitting here praising the "gutsy call". Still, I just think it was an unnecessary risk in that situation. If you don't get it then you pretty much just lost the game. But if you punt at least the odds are stacked in your favor, with them having to drive the field.

#133 SawdustMan, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I like that Whis recognized they had scored 16 points unanswered to pull it within a go-ahead TD. We hadn't scored since the end of the first half. The momentum was CLEARLY in CLE direction. Any Pro team should be able to get 1/2 yard, especially one that has invested SO much in the OL.

I fault Whis because everybody on that field knows that Levitre sucks and our other 2 interior OL are young. Why run up the middle, especially with a weak legged CBJ?

5. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

With Greg Williams continuing the 4-3 we would probably be in a better situation right now. But that's Greg Williams, not Mike Munchak.

Greg Williams did a good job cleaning up Jerry Gray's mess, and Dowell Loggains did a good job of designing the offense around Fitzpatrick's strengths. So I don't know that firing / moving on from those guys would make us better.....what if he hired another Palmer and Gray? I thought Williams was going to move on either way.

Losing several close games in 2013 does not mean we automatically jump to winning in 2014. In 2011 Munch had this team at 9-7. In 2012 we couldn't manage to tie our shoes.

I will admit that on both sides of the ball we are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. We're running a 3-4 with, in large part, 4-3 personnel. We gave Munchak three years of , for the most part, bad football. Surely we can give the new guy more than five games to transition the team into drastically different schemes on both sides of the ball.

#135 SlidePiece, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I agree, but there will always be a learning curve for both players and the coaches.

7. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

He's getting 4 years and probably his 5th year as well. He's getting paid for it regardless so this organization is invested in whiz for 4 minimum.

8. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

If we have 3 straight seasons of 5-11 football. He won't be back for 4th season.

9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Check the contract details. Tommy boy isn't going to just give away 10+ million dollars to someone not working for the team. He may eat one year, he won't eat two.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Tommie, eating? Wont eat two? What?

have you seen Tommie? he'll eat two of you, then eat Fry for dessert.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar