WalterFootball 4 round mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm getting tired of these drafts with Sweed in the first, but this is a decent mock, I suppose.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

I actually like this site. Check out the prospect profiles there. Many listed by position (very deep) with Ht, Wt, 40 times and brief descriptions.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Here's the link for prospects, specifically WR. Quick links by position are at the top. I picked the WR link since we're all obviously so interested in it right now.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008WR.php

So...I'm so muddled about this position, but here are the guys I like right now, that I think we have a chance at drafting:

Mario Manningham - just seems very solid; believe right now he could be our pick in either the first or the 2nd
    Devin Thomas - 6'2" 215 4.45 speed - will play STs even; a young Jerry Porter? a young Justin McCareins? Big, physical and can stretch the field
    Lavelle Hawkins (following Senior Bowl) - I'm sensing someone who can gain separation
    Earl Bennett
    Eddie Royal (dark horse; small one at that, but I think he's what we wanted in Chris Davis)

Now for the rest...

Malcolm Kelly/ DeSean Jackson - doubt will be available to us
    James Hardy - is he more than a big guy?; has some character issues, but seemed to stay out of trouble
    Early Doucet - just got injured; think he'll go somewhere before our 2nd round pick
    Limas Sweed - I'll allow this: he could be good for Vince; the wrist injury and lack of speed are turnoffs, but I've read he has good work ethic

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Dark Horse WR, Devin Thomas

I'd love this guy in two, but I think his stock is going to rise. Could be wrong, but the big holdback is his lack of time as a starter. Guy literally exploded this year.

"Michigan State junior wide receiver Devin Thomas, who ranked among the NCAA leaders in four major receiving and kickoff return categories for 2007, will forego his final season of college eligibility and enter the 2008 NFL draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Thomas, who has already filed the necessary paperwork with the league office, is expected to be selected in the first or second round, according to a source. He likely will make a formal announcement next week.

Only a one-year starter for the Spartans, Thomas had a breakout season in 2007, smashing the school's single-season record for all-purpose yards, set by tailback Lorenzo White in 1985.

In 13 games, Thomas registered 79 receptions for 1,260 yards and eight touchdowns, leading Michigan State in all of those categories. He returned 39 kickoffs for 1,135 yards, a 29.1-yard average. Thomas also had 27 carries for 177 yards and seven punt returns for 18 yards. For the season, Thomas totaled 2,590 all-purpose yards.

He ranked in the top 20 nationally in receptions, receiving yards, all-purpose yards and kickoff return yards.

Thomas, 21, is listed at 6-feet-2, 218 pounds, and two league scouts contacted on Friday night said those physical dimensions seem accurate. One scout assessed Thomas' speed as "very good," and noted that, while there is always more work to be done in assessing underclass prospects, league talent evaluators are aware of the Michigan State star's NFL potential.

Until Thomas is formally accepted into the draft, league scouts are precluded from offering for-the-record analysis of his skills.

Thomas began his college career at Coffeyville (Kans.) Community College in 2005 and, after being ranked as one of the top 20 junior college wide receivers, transferred to Michigan State in 2006. In his first season with the Spartans, he had six receptions for 90 yards and one touchdown."

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

# Tennessee Titans: John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
    Hey, look, it's Ben Troupe. Maybe he'll actually catch a pass this time... Oh no, he dropped another ball. (Hint: Yo, Titans, this could be a good spot for you to grab a tight end who actually helps Vince Young out a bit in the aerial game.)

hahahaha!

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Well there's no way the Titans draft 2 WR's with the first 2 picks. Hell would have frozen over. But ya know, we've been waiting for hell to freeze over for some time....why not on April 26th?

But I really do like the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I liked that, too. :ha:

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Depends on FA I think and how many guys we're ready to unload from the position, which could be several.

8. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I would love that draft--odds are one of the two WRs will turn out if they are picked in the top two rounds. I do think we need to stockpile a few quality OL in the first few rounds. If Slaton is still around in round 3, I might like to see us pick him up.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

For a team that's taken 2 WR's in the 1st two rounds in the last 10 years, this would be the biggest drafting philosophy shift ever. I don't care for making guarantees about anything, but this one time I will. This won't happen.

I don't think they'll give up on several of our guys. Roydell should stay. Paul Williams will get his shot, and Davis will probably get an increased role. Brandon Jones may have to fight for a job, but I don't see them drafting a guy by just thinking that he is done here. Ealy will probably get a fair shot too. I also think they make serious play for Gage.

We kept 7 WR's last year IIRC. That's high for us, and we may not keep that many again. I believe one new guy will be brought in, maybe two, but they won't put enough importance on it to bring in two in the first two rounds of the draft.

For what this team is, they don't need to use the first two picks on WR's. We're far from being the Colts or Pats. Maybe we air it out more with Dinger, but the philosophy then still was not to draft a lot of WR's high. I won't be shocked if they don't draft a WR at all in the 1st 2 picks.

10. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

In that scenario I could see it happen. I think Manningham is too good of a player to pass on if he falls to us late in the second round, no matter what we did with our first pick. Kinda like the Vikings taking Adrian Peterson despite having a solid starter in Chester Taylor (not great, but solid) when someone falls to you with that much value for the pick it's hard to pass up. And honestly, depending on what happens with FA, I don't see many other significant holes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar