WAL-MART is going to take over the world

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

your not gonna kill me if i roll up with Wal Mart bags are you? :ha:

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

They sell tequila at the Walmart in Cancun. :brow:

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

it was ten dollars a tire.

that's $40. The shelf price for the tire is $56...

ok, if I have a blowout I'll pay double... so what. I can still replace the thing for the sticker price. I bought the cheap lifetime balance, so I will not have to pay to have it put on. I've never had a blowout. I've had many sets of tires. If I bought the road hazard on every set I've bought in my life, the money spent would be enough to buy a whole new set...

roadhazard is stupid for inexpensive tires.

It would be different if they were Forteras or something.

trust me Puck, had the road hazard been $5 for the set I would have bit.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I expect the motorcade to have brand new, top of the line tires when I am picked up from the airport.

:brow:

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

This my fiends is one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read. They sell stuff "cheap" so they are hurting America? Ever think about what SEC 330 BIPOLAR is doing with the extra money he has in his pocket after his good deal on tires? Oops, now we are getting too deep for the liberal mind to comprehend. Of course this kind of thinking runs contrary to the "help the poor and less fortunate" mentality because if we "uninionize" or keep those more expensive business merchants then the poorer people in our society have to pay double for the basic neccesities in life like tires. I for one would be ticked if Walmart was gouging the public with high prices after putting others out of business but that is not what they are doing. Their prices are low. Secondly, they still have competion. You can still go to Kroger for your groceries or to Pep Boys for your tires. There are other department stores like Target if big bad Walmart is not to your liking. Next we will be reading about how Walmart is putting the neigborhood pharmacy out of business when they are selling $4.00 generic medicines country wide. How terrible of them to do such an evil thing. Of course the poor guy without insurance doesn't think it is so evil does he. For that matter the guy with insurance will like it as well.

Oh, in response to Walmart putting pressure on their suppliers to lower their prices guess what. That is exactly the same thing automobile manufactures do to their suppliers in this country. Now I guess Ford Motor company is hurting America as well. It is the free-market pressure to keep expenses low that affords all of us our standard of living. The more goods for a lower cost is the name of the game. If you want to pay three times as much for your shoes good for you. The bottom line is the cheaper good can be brought to market, and sold for cheaper prices, the more disposable income we all have to buy more. The only people Walmart hurts are the labor unions and small business but when both of those things result in lower productivity at higher cost it is the consumer that pays and we all are the consumers.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Soxcat, don't think, just presume that they're evil. It's more fun. Watch the Southpark episode about it. Or Family Guy.

7. We have WalMart in the U.K in the form of ASDA...

It hasn't got the grip on the U.K as much as it does in the U.S...no, the real threat is TESCO, a creepy place...

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

gee Family Guy using an episode from somewhere else. Now that is a shocker.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Soxcat... I think your post fails to recognize that the imported goods flooding the market are really putting a cramp on American manufacturing. Like Starkiller was saying about the Chinese products... the WAL-MART crap has become the new American standard.

I wear steel toe boots at my job. Luckily, my job can't be outsourced. I work in the construction industry. I proudly wear American made Wolverine boots to my job. They cost a pretty penny but at least they were made by real Americans. Given the punishment they take, I can rest assured that my money was well spent.

I have a quality shoe that will last twice as long as anything WAL-MART has fresh off the boat from China... plus I at least have the satisfaction that I threw the American manufacturing sector a bone. I'd be sick if I had to work at that... but I've been on job sites and seen Americans carry on their daily life in line production.

I know why my tires were so cheap. WAL-MART bought a billion of them at 2 and one half dollars each, shoved them in distibution centers across America and spoon feed them to stores to be marked up 10000 %. I don't know where they were made. All I know is the cost is too high for for me to deal with the local tire retailer who just closed their store in my neighborhood. They have one downtown, it's not very far away... but to take a word from Starkiller... It's emblematic. It's also very true.

It's ironic that WAL-MART got to where they are saying:

MADE IN THE USA

I guess it's all fine and good as long as they are makin' M&M's and popAbles candy bar snacks... Americans will never lose the thirst for junk food for our collective fat :moon2::moon2:

10. First off, Soxcat, I didn't say they were the only retailer doing what they do. I specifically said they were emblematic of the problem. Not everyone believes they are responsible for the problem, though I think they are leading the pack.

Also, like I said, the selling of cheap stuff isn't itself the problem. It's about the consequences of how they sell cheap stuff. They block employees from unionizing in order to keep salaries low. They crush smaller competitors all the time who can't possibly compete. And they are so big that they can basically demand any selling price short of a loss from suppliers because to lose the ability to sell through Wal-Mart would kill their business.

No, Wal-Mart is not the face of evil. But it is the face of the evils of capitalism in a number of ways.

But hey, they do sell a gross of tube socks for 98 cents, so I'm there... :greedy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar