Wade and Mattos Making the Most of Opportunities

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

I don't see us cutting Gunther.

2. Nash

Nash Starter

keeping Gunther depends on how much he's improved and if we are running a lot of Hback /2 TE formations-- if we are he stays and we keep Fleming as well as 6 WR...

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i think they go with 6 receivers 4 backs and 3 tight ends....

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

4 TEs, I say, but I'm more worried about which WRs to keep.

Guenther is just a freak. Freaks are good. Besides, I have a feeling they may want to move Kinney in a year or so. And you know you can't PS Guenther...when the words "6'8" " and "TE" come across the waiver wire, he's going to be gone.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

1)Givens
    2)Bennett
    3)Calico
    4)Wade
    5)Roby
    6)Williams
    7)Mattos
    8)Orr
    9)Thomas
    10)Small
    11)Hall
    12)Jones - PUP

At this point, it seems Wade is going to be on the roster. Thomas and Small have already been on the PS, so I really wouldn't consider them for the active roster. Tramain Hall, practice squad at best, I'd say.

Orr, Calico and Mattos are the spots to look at, IMO. Mattos has been getting nice press every couple of months now. Very good hands, and he's a Chow guy. I place that against Orr, who could do well, though if not, how much will our favoritism toward rookies help him out? Calico could just screw himself out of a job before camp, but if he performs, he has the speed we have been lacking.

Unlikely, but what if the unexpected happened? What if they dealt either R Williams or C Roby before the season started? Nah, it wouldn't happen.

Also consider the possibility that neither Bennett nor Calico could be on the roster next year.

Final will probably look like this (my guess):

Bennett, Givens, Wade, Calico, Roby, Williams, Mattos. Orr gets cut. Mattos has been hanging around for a few years on Broncos, Chargers and now our practice squad, and we just like guys like that. Thomas and Small stay on the PS, unless we can sneak Orr on. Jones goes PUP.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that puts three receivers on our practice squad. i can't see use using three out of the eight spots on the PS for the same position.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Then let me finish the thought: Thomas and Small stay on the practice squad, unless we can sneak Orr on, then one of them gets cut, thus keeping only two. Sorry Smallville, in that scenario, all things being equal, I bet Sloan Thomas gets the nod over OJ Small, due to Vince. Maybe not, but seems possible.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I have a really hard time believing we're cutting orr. We generally don't like cutting our rookies. Mattos will have to press really hard for that to happen. 3 months ago, I would have said no way Calico gets cut, but if he doesn't come back to practice and show something, I could see him being our final drop to hit 53.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar