VY with a 95: 12-3 since '09

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've said for two years now that the Titans will usually win the game if Young has a 95 passer rating in the game. When VY hits a 95 or higher, the Titans are 12-3 since last season.

In '09, he averaged 95.1. This season, he's averaging 95.1. Pretty consistent.

For what he's being asked to do, this will get the job done as long as the running game and defense holds its own. A 95 usually means he's keeping that 2:1 ratio TD to INT.

We hear stats about how when CJ runs for 100 or more the Titans are 13-4 since '09, in those four losses, the QB had ratings of 90, 4.9, 77.8 and 11.9. That 90 rating was the home loss to the Texans last season which required a huge defensive meltdown.

VY hitting a 95 passer rating on game day isn't guaranteed a win but it's a key factor in most.

2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

He's playing great this year. He's not breaking off huge runs but he's becoming an effective pocket passer who can scramble. The fact that he's effective in 3 and 5 step dropbacks means we'll have a ton of offensive plays to choose from come playoff time.

I think our offense should steadily improve over the year as defenses have more and more they have to defend.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Right now Vince is a huge reason for our winning record. Forget about that 2:1 TD:INT ratio, Vince now has a 3:1 ratio. According to that, he's out playing Philip Rivers, Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, David Garrard, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Kevin Kolb, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel, Joe Flacco, Brett Favre, and nearly everybody else you'd expect to be better than him. I'm having a ball while Vince is out shinning every QB except for Tom Brady & Peyton Manning.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Hold up there, folks. A 3:1 ratio doesn't equal playing better than most of the QBs you mention. There are many other factors which come into play. A 95 having to pass the ball 40-45 times isn't the same as what Young is asked to do in the Titans offense.

You have to look at this in context. In the Fisher/Dinger offense, VY gets the job done if he has a 95+ passer rating game. But he also has to have the run support and the defense playing at a decent level. He's one cog in the machine.

Can you imagine Young being successful in the schemes of the Saints or Packers with their lack of a running game? I don't see it. It's not a good fit. Until he's asked to do what teams ask of Brees, Orton, Rodgers and Romo as a passer, and sees their success, he's not going to be considered close to their level.

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Outplaying is far from accurate, the fact is he has a better TD:INT ratio. Stress the facts, not opinions. I'd much rather have 80% of those QBs listed. They also don't have CJ or any semblance of a running game with the exception of INT Favre.

6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

There is no doubting that Vince is passing the ball better and although still making some mistakes, they are definitely not as frequent as in the past. Unfortunately, he is still far, far away from a QB that is capable of winning a Super Bowl.

And, I think the rating of 95+ is much more of an indicator of how good our 'team' is than anything else.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm trying to make it flow Jeff, let's not let things like "factors" get in the way.. :cool:

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

All Vince Young has to do to be considered better than those other quarterbacks is win a Super Bowl.

It doesn't matter how he does it, if he moves the football and puts points on the board he's effective. He can run the option, he can throw in the pocket, and he can run bootlegs and play actions. He's a great athlete. He's a winner.

It's about time people started giving Vince his due respect. When the full playbook is opened up, and we've got a more balanced offense Vince will excel. How do you stop a formation where a screen, quick drop, option, or run could be coming when you have the speed of Chris Johnson.

I think you'll have to wait until November to see what this offense is capable of.

9. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Sausage King of Chicago

I wish Fisher would have let VY put the game away against the Broncos. Huge mistake.

10. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

We're undefeated when he's over 100.

I noticed a lot of analysts saying that we should continue to let VY pass. I think most of us agree with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar