VY effect on the run game..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by plato, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i don't, i lost my fantasy game by four points!

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

My Doormats rolled over Rarely Sober.

3. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

wow thanks star killer . you should change your name to buzz killer. like it or not vince young is a weapon and defenses have to account for him no matter what . against the jags last week in the 1st quarter they were running alot of 8-9 man fronts that is untill vince got out on the edges and delrio almost had a heart attack . thats when they started to blitz the edges and thats when our running game busted out. i love all the vy critics all he has done is win since he was in pop warner and i would take vy against any qb in the league. my blood runs deep with titans blue. go titans

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

It's not a matter of being a buzz-kill. It's about facing reality. Last week was a n absolutely terrible showcase of passing on his part, period. Like someone mentioned, any pass that wasn't a dump-off looked positively ugly. It wasn't simply that he made mis-calculated throws at times, his passes just plain looked sloppy.

Now, there are silver lining and rationalizations that can be made. Everyone has poor games, and everyone is allowed them; that's just about being human. We can accept that Young will never be an elite passer (and IMO, he never will be technically proficient as a passer); that doesn't mean he won't improve, or should, but I think we all should have realistic expectations as what he could be. He was also facing a very good Jags secondary, one that he struggled with BOTH times last year.

I don't think many on this board will deny he's a weapon, and a clear catalyst to our running dominance last week. But, let's not pretend everything is all honky-dory with him at this point either...

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He would be taking a lot of heat if his performance wasn't overshadowed by Brown. To put it simply, he'll have to be more than a decoy for the running game if the Titans are to go anywhere this year. I think we'll see the Colts look to prove that Sunday. Let's hope Vince can hush the critics once again.

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I don't think we've seen two bad games in a row from Vince.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

The thing is, our offensive personnel groupings dictate the defensive personnel. We came out in a heap of 4-WR sets last weekend, which gives the defense two options.

1. Stay in a base 4-3 look to try and stop the run or come out in a nickel or dime package to ensure you're not victim to a bad match-up.

You want to put 8 men in the box, when a team goes 4-wide then you are leaving 2-WRs uncovered with a single saftey over the middle. How do you defend those quick WR Screens we threw on the weekend, when the WR you're throwing to is uncovered.

He doesn't have to consistently hit receivers deep down field for us to move the ball, (although it sure would be nice).

The best way to defend against VY and force passing errors is to play a lot of zone and force him to read coverages. As soon as you do that you are opening up lanes in the middle of the field for our running game.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

shouldn't that be hunky-dory

who are you calling a honky :))

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

man so many Young haters :grrhee:

10. whitevick331

whitevick331 Guest

Seriously you cant say that. Football is a game where you win of getting breaks. It just happened we got them that day. You cant say could of won. Because it didnt happen that way. The game goes and things happen. We won because of running the ball. and great defense. MJD fumble happened. Things happen like that. Scobee being injured. Injuries happen like that and you take advantage of them. Or they help get the other teams win. When Mike Vick got hurt that one year. You cant say the falcons would of won most of their games if he wasnt hurt. THings like thatjust happen. Its the NFL, sometimes you win on other teams injuries and weird mistakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar