VY effect on the run game..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by plato, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Entirely possible - it's always hard to know if the coaches aren't calling the right plays or the players aren't executing. I'm sure Chow was handcuffed by lack of production. He also went through a carousel of QBs - tough for a new coordinator to install his offense when you have that happening. However, I did get the sense that I was guessing exactly where we would go with the ball way too often, and I suspected Chow was struggling adjusting to the NFL and struggling adjusting to not having superior talent on the field. Of course all that was baseless observations and gut feelings.

Anyway, I feel like he's really beginning to hit his stride as an OC - whether it's anything he's done or it's just better players. I do feel like he's done what Schwartz has been criticized for not doing - fine tuning his scheme and game plan to take advantage of the talent he has while minimizing their weaknesses. From what I've gathered he is also a great coach and not just a coordinator, and he is able to coach up the talent he has. So getting back to the thread - however we got to this point, the combination of Vince and Chow seems to be having a great impact on our running game. I hope we'll see the passing game develop as well over the next few months.

2. Teams will just line up with 8 and 9 guys in the box and make VY throw the ball. And until he becomes a good passer, we aren't really going anywhere. I just can't see us keeping up with the 280 yard rushing performances.

And let's not pretend we won in a romp against the Jags with this great running game. We won by 3, and the Jags easily could have won if Scobee was healthy and Mercedes Lewis hadn't caused Jones-Drew to fumble in the redzone.

3. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

How well did that work for USC? I know it is just college, but the same thing applies. If anyone tries to put 8-9 guys in the box, then VY can hit someone (if they get open) on a 1-3 step drop.

4. That's not the NFL. Lots of things that work on offense in college don't in the NFL.

As for Vince being able to hit a WR if defenses go with 8- or 9-man fronts, he couldn't do it last week. He was all over the place on his passes.

5. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

I don't recall many 8-9 man fronts last week. They tried to shut down VY, which they did a good job of. This just opened them up to CB and LW, which Chow made them pay dearly for.

6. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

didn't Vince complete 61% of his passes?

He only needed to throw 18 times. If you have him pass 30 times thats 18 completions...not exactly terrible.

Plus he lead the team to victory, and in the end, thats all that matters.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

The option plays work great last week, and the reverse play. I think those kind of plays are what Chow's best at playing to Vince's strength's.
    Only if they're down by 2 or more scores late will they have to rely on Vince dropping back and throwing long.

I really think he was sick (or hungover) last week. He needed the IV, he just didn't look 100 percent. His throws were wobbly and not anywhere near where they should have been. I think he will look much better Sunday.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

A lot of those were quick passes without dropping back, not a real indicator to what kind of day he had throwing. He had and awful day passing. The first pass after his INT should have been another INT. Whenever he threw more than 5 yds it was scary. Like I said before, his passes looked like wounded ducks flipping through the air.

I think Chris Brown led the team to victory. But Vince was there.

9. Teams need to do more than just keep Vince from scrambling. They need to force the Titans to throw the ball. At least until Vince can prove he can do it well enough to be a threat nearly equal to our running game.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think it's a good thing that Vince played sub-par. If I know anything about Vince I know that he is very tough on himself and has been working extra hard. We should see a completely different Vince next week. I did wonder what the heck was up with him. Hoffa is right. He wasn't 100% but for some reason but we got the win and that is all that matters. This team is moving on to this week and I expect to see a fine performance from everyone Sunday. Vince is going to make some good plays. I feel like this team can beat anyone right now. Vince's calm demeanor is so reassuring. If it's this infectious as fans imagine what it's like for the other 52 guys on the roster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar