VY Discussion - Shotgun vs Dropback

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Split Backs is with the QB under center and the RB's several yards behind on each side of the QB.
    [​IMG]

2. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

We usually use one set back, to add a extra blocking TE or an extra reciever, so that naturally give VY more throwing options, and makes it easier for him to run, and because he was so successful in Texas in teh shotgun its no suprise hes doing so good in it now, so its obvious we should run the offense in those 2 sets

3. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

Vince was in the shotgun the whole second half because we were down by 21 points and he was running a hurry-up two minute type offense focused on passing and not running to conserve time. I doubt it signals a change in the base offense (assuming we don't fall behind all the time), though if the offense stalls in a game, you may see some no-huddle shotgun every now and then to shake things up. But Fisher loves the run too much to think shotgun will be used a lot outside of the hurry-up offense situations or 3rd and long situations.

4. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

This is just my opinion, and I'm no expert, not that being an "expert" means anything these days. (See M. Hoge)

I think the reason runs don't work as well from the shotgun is the running back doesn't get a head start before taking the ball. In formations under center, the running back is behind the QB, so while the QB is taking the snap, he'll get a simultaneous running start before the taking the ball and hitting the hole. With the exception of the direct snap, in the shotgun the running back has to wait for the QB to take the snap and then turn and hand it off. This gives the defense the jump on RB, and obviously if they're at full speed and he isn't, the result won't be pretty. I believe this is why you predominantly see draws out of the shotgun. The thinking there is the defense is already getting a head start of the HB, so lets use that against them. That's why in college, teams who use only the Shotgun have a myriad of outside options plays, and they usually run the offense with a scatback instead of a power back (Henry, White, etc.). However, because of the speed of NFL defenses, the outside option plays are impossible at this level.

Just my view of it. I think it sounds plausible. :yes:

5. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

makes sense... thanks

6. That's it exactly. In fact, I remember reading Chow's comments saying as much as why he didn't like the shotgun. It's passer-friendly but not running-friendly.

That said, Vince is dangerous in the shotgun because he has that quick reaction time. They can run that option that they used at Texas and sometimes here where he sticks the ball out to the RB and, if he has an open lane, he pulls the ball back and keeps it himself. But I think that would be better implemented using a RB with more speed and quickness than we have.

Plus, I think they want fewer plays designed for Vince to run himself because of the injury factor. It's one thing to let him tuck it and run if he doesn't find an open receiver. It's another to give him a lot of designed running plays on top of that.

For what it's worth, I think the Titans would do well to pick up a good 3rd down back in the offseason to replace Henry. LenDale would be a great back for when Vince lines up under center. But then they could use a smaller, quicker back primarily for the shotgun.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

It's offical

SupDawg owns Ewker :moon2:

8. Titansfan256

Titansfan256 Guest

Excellent post.

The shotgun never really was designed for running plays at all. If I'm a defensive coordinator (or defensive team captain), and I see the shotgun formation, 7 times out of 10 I'm thinking pass. Why? The backs can't get that full head of steam.

I'm also looking at the OLinemen, specifically the guards. The LG/RG's are usually in a squatting stance on some shotgun passing plays. But there are lots of other things to watch for in shotgun formations, which makes the formation so tricky (and successful at times).

Man in motion? How many WR's are lined up? Somebody in the slot? This is why shotgun is meant more for situational purposes. As advanced as NFL defenses are, most of them can smell what's up when an offense lines up in the shotgun....unless of course you're Jim Schwartz.

In the I-formation, single set back, are more of an 'every down' thing. You always wanna develop the run first (cliche'). Let's say that the first 6 plays from scrimmage were running plays, and Travis Henry has 4 carries for 23 yards, and Lendale has 2 carries for 16 yards. No shotgun form has been used yet. Well, on the next play, if you DO start in a shotgun formation, the defense can already smell the pass since the first 6 plays were runs. But if you start in a singleback, I-form, or some funky inverted wishbone formation with a TE in motion, the PLAY ACTION can be used more effectively in either formation. Not so much in the shotgun.

9. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Why did you say that?:huh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar