VY Considered Retirement?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by vslyke, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Gotta love that "he just wins" nonsense.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

In lieu of typing for a half-hour, I'll just copy my thoughts from another board....

According to the original article, Vince considered retirement last summer...before the 2007 season ever started.

In the article, Vince refers to some sort of family-related crisis; I feel it's safe to assume that his absentee father got out of prison and tried to inject himself into his celebrity son's life, which would obviously result in a lot of emotional turmoil for a young guy. Combine this with the constant scrutiny of being an NFL star, and the face of a franchise, along with the numerous professional obligations that accompany such celebrity, and you've got a young guy who's under an enormous amount of pressure every waking moment.

I'm sure Vince was being pulled in a million different directions every single day, and felt he was living his life for everyone but himself. For him to consider walking away from it all.....it obviously isn't the most desirable approach, but it's hardly unnatural.

The most important thing to me is that Vince stuck with it. He faced a lot of adversity and negativity along the way....and while he struggled with it at times and made his share of mistakes, he still made it through.

I'll guarantee you that plenty of young NFL stars deal with the very same issues and the very same kinds of pressure that Vince has dealt with. The only difference is, Vince was willing to open up and talk about it.​

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I don't know the context he made that statement. It certainly sounds immature and unprofessional, especially with just one or two years under his belt.

I'm sure he would give his signing bonus back if he did. I'll just pretend I never heard him say that. One and done- please.

I like Vince but he really needs to quit pulling the melon-head stuff. And on the tails of his drinking pictures to boot. Sounds to me like he regrets coming out of school early.

4. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Report: Titans' Young almost quit after one year

Vince Young reportedly considered retirement following his rookie season.

More...

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I would say vince has done his job. With our team last year if he was a winner what would our record be? Do you really think the team assembled last year was better than a 10-6 team? And there's no way you're actually putting any of the playoff game on him. How about chris brown fumbling on the 10 yard line while up 3. How about Bironas missing a 35 yarder while down 10-6. If you recall at halftime of that game the cbs crew was actually praising vince young (which rarely happens). Then in the 2nd half we went to just terrible play-calling which could be the reason our OC got fired.

6. halt

halt Starter

Maybe Vince hasn't yet determined if he wants to be a football player or something else, and that is the reason he returned to school.

7. teegee

teegee Guest

He said he relied on his teammates to help him through whatever issues he had that was making him contemplate retiring. And it sounds like he has gotten past these issues.

I wonder if he talked to Kerry Collins about what he was going through? Remember Collins went through similar issues early in his career, and when he asked to be benched, the whole NFL community turned on him and said he should never be allowed to play again. After going through rehab, he pulled his life back together and has played nine more seasons since all that stuff. He was able to make it through his issues and come through the other side ok, so I would think that Collins would be a great support to Young, having gone through similar pressures of trying to live up to being a young franchise QB. Especially since Young has said that Collins has been a great help to him with the on-field stuff.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Vince: Hey Kerry, how long's it been since you had a drink?
    Kerry: Why? You buyin?

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

You are right. He's not a winner. The team just happened to go from 4-15 before he was our starter to 18-11 after. It had nothing to do with Vince.

Get real.

I guess Peyton Manning isn't a winner because he lost a playoff game this year, too.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I support Vince no matter what but I'll be mad if he does leave, which I don't think will happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar