Von Miller

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by xpmar9x, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24

24 Starter

Nope, I'm talking about Miller as an NFL prospect. Why would I be talking about him rushing the passer if I'm projecting him in the 4-3?

2. GTFO my pancakz

GTFO my pancakz S.D.M.F.

Ok then why would you be talking about his size? That is what your criticizing and if he were drafted by us, which is what THIS thread is about, his size is irrelevant. He wouldn't be asked to blitz as much and coverage has yet to be seen but I would take a shot because it seems hes always around the ball. He has all the intangibles to be a 4-3 OLB someone just has to be willing to take a chance.

3. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

First of all, he's 246 now, and that's what he's been doing his drills at. And the drills show that he hasn't slowed down at 246.

Second, you've cited ONE safety in the NFL at 230 pounds (15 pounds lighter than Miiller is now). Most safeties play in the 200-215 range.

What happens when someone bigger gets his hands on James Harrison? Clay Matthews? Elvis Dumervil? They go around. And sometimes, because football is a leverage game and not a pure strength game, they get low and they go THROUGH the block. And how many successful NFL OLBs came right out of college knowing how to do that anyway? Not many: it can be taught.

We're talking past each other here. You said ALL he has is the "speed rush." When I read that I read, "all he does is sprint to the quarterback unblocked." What most people label "speed rush" doesn't really utilize other moves as I described. And if you admit that he DOES use other tools to get past blockers other than just sprinting off the edge untouched (which he clearly does) then you're wrong about his ONLY using the speed rush.

Which leads me back to asking you to define "speed rush" so we can tell how accurate your assessment actually is.

Yeah, THAT flame was really necessary. :sad2:

4. 24

24 Starter

Sure, I don't even really know what we're arguing about. You're talking about him in the 4-3, I'm talking about him in the 3-4.

That's backwards thinking. His film is at 237. Therefore, his 10.5 sacks last year were at 237. Not 246. Just because he ran 4.53 at 246, doesn't mean he was running that fast at 237. In fact, it means he was probably running faster, like 4.45. Essentially, he can only get his 10.5 sacks running 4.45.

Adrian Wilson.

You think it's about leverage? Then how come there aren't more 237 pound OLB? You can't simply say it's leverage without justifying it. Harrison is 6' 242, Matthews is 6' 3" 255, and Dumervil 5' 11" 248. All these guys are thick, Von is lean. Think about if some 8 year old tried to edge rush you, it doesn't matter how low he gets, you can just push him off his path. What, you think NFL tackles are going to whiff on Miller every time?

By speed rush, I mean rushing off the edge, usually from the 9, around the OT, and essentially using only speed to beat his man.

You're right, I'm sorry. But, I still want to know if you've watched his games at all.

5. GTFO my pancakz

GTFO my pancakz S.D.M.F.

Yea we don't run a 3-4 and this thread is about us drafting him. Your 3-4 OLB references are irrelevant.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

It's not that Miller can't be a solid SAM linebacker in our system and stop the run and be solid in coverage. It's that we normally don't use our linebackers as pass rushers. That's what the front 4 guys are for.

So if it is a big outside rush guy you want then draft Quinn or Bowers to play DE. Or a guy who can do everything well and move inside on occasion like Watt.

Miller's #1 attribute is as a speed rusher.

A SAM linebacker in our system can only have so much of an impact. I used the example before with Aaron Curry of Seattle. A solid player but not a game changer. Miller is no more a prospect than Curry.

I would rather have a full sized DE like Quinn(265), Bowers(280), Watt(290) or even Kerrigan(267) than a 245 lb OLB.

I think 24 makes some valid points. Blue chip 3-4 OLBs tend to run 260 lbs or even bigger these days. They are usually taller than Miller is. I think Miller will be fine as a weak side 3-4 guy but is he ideal?

Bowers had 15 sacks as a DE at Clemson. Doesn't he translate a lot better to our system than Miller? Quinn had 11 sacks at just age 19 in 09 and he is 6'4 265 and could get bigger.

The impact players in a 4-3 are usually the DE's, this is a great draft for DEs so let's get one of them not a linebacker. We could get Bruce Carter in rd 2 and if you want an OLB who can specialize in bltiz packages or coming around the corner Moch would also be there in rd 2 maybe even rd 3.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We have a new DC, and almost every other defensive positional coach. Our scheme could be completely different next year. Who knows what we're going to do.

Our new DC already announced that he wants to beef up our DEs. My guess is he wants more of a bull-rush, run-stopping type of DE. Not a speed rushing DE that lines up 5 yards off the OT and can't play against the run at all (like Babin). So if he's wanting to beef up the DEs, that means the linebackers will probably rush the passer more IMO.

In fact, when Jerry Gray was the DC for the Bills (01-05), he used Takeo Spikes and Angelo Crowell alot like a SAM LB, pressure the QB and coverage. Although neither were amazing at it, they both did a decent job. Takeo has a great '04 season: 96 tackles, 3 sacks, 5 ints. Takeo has never been an amazing blitzer like Von, so imagine that statline with more sacks, like Von could do. Also Frank Bush (LB Coach) used Brian Cushing alot on blitz packages.

I think Von would play a perfect SAM LB in our system. He could get to the QB and has the atlethic ability to be a good coverage/man defender on TEs/RBs. If Von is there at 8, he's a must take.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Besides the fact Miller probably won't be available, which makes all this a waste of time, I still don't see the value Miller would have for us relative to getting a real good DE or DT. I agree with Rolltide. Now if Miller is there look for a team like NE, who sees themselves getting their version of Harrison at OLB ready to make a move and we can hold them hostage. That would be the best thing and help the team the most. We could come out of the 1st and 2nd round with three guys, a DE, DT and a QB.

9. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush 49er fan

I would love for the Titans to draft Von Miller, because that means the Niners didn't make the mistake of drafting him. :)

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Why has everyone already written off that Von will be gone by #8.

It's very possible. Let me break it down for you.

Panthers - They need a QB or a DL. Newton, Dareus, Bowers, or Gabbert are the only 4 people I see the Panters considering.

Broncos - They are switching to the 4-3, and there D will need alot of people. There secondary is also extremely old, need helping at both CB and S. They could use Von or PP or any of the DL prospects.

Bills - I see alot of Von to the Bills mock drafts, doesnt make sense. They play alot of 3-4 and 4-3, so Dareus is the obvious choice. They could also use PP. Plus, alot of rumors say the Bills want a franchise QB in this draft.

Bengals - No need for Von. They have good LBs.

Cardinals - Another landing spot for Von. Although they need a QB, very bad as well. PP is another option.

Browns - Also switching to the 4-3, they released alot of players because they didn't fit the 4-3 DT, my guess is they'll go DT.

49ers - Need a QB, also need a CB bad. OLB is 3rd on their need list, but Von could land here.

I could see the draft going. 1. Newton, 2. Peterson, 3. Dareus, 4. AJ Green,5. Gabbert, 6. Fairley, 7. Amukamara.

Prospects fall every year, nobody is a lock.. especially in this draft. Look at Rey Maualuga, project Top-15, fell to the 2nd round. Or Michael Crabtree, was talked about being the next amazing WR, projected Top 5, went 10th. Going way back with Warren Sapp, projected to be the #1 pick, and went 12th. How about Aaron Rodgers, who was fighting with Alex Smith to be the #1 pick, Smith got the #1 pick and Rodgers fell to #24! Then theres others like: Clausen, Quinn, Brees, Randy Moss, and multiple other prospects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar