Vols = the new vandy

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by World Peace, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XO

XO Nevada Native

You are saying as a Tennessee fan you are more proud of faux championships than the total GREATNESS that is Tennessee?

Come on. UT is a top ten program. There is much better ammunition for cutting down the Ohio guy than "six championships".

College football championships are a joke. I'm more impressed with a conference title than I am a national title these days. It is earned on the field.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's dumb. National titles mean something to most people. BCS titles mean even more, the BCS is the modern era of college football.

I'll admit I don't put a lot of stock into claimed championships but I do put a lot of stock in poll championships and by my book Tennessee has 2. They are one of only 19 programs to have 2 or more championships recognized by the major college football polls.

3. In this thread or the other, I can't remember, I've already pointed out the wins. UT is 10th all time in wins and winning percentage. Furthermore, until this past season (2010) UT had the most wins of any program in the last 85 years (1926). They were overtaken this season by Oklahoma.

I'm well aware of the program's history. I don't see why you're so offended by talking about overall championships. And you have to win a conference title to get a chance at the national title....not sure you're making any sense there.

4. XO

XO Nevada Native

The national title is just a label. It is not earned. The conference title should mean more, especially in the beloved SEC.

I am more excited for Tennessee playing Alabama than I am for what ever exhibition bowl game they end up in at the end if the season.

A majority of UT's national titles were won before most of us were even born. Things were even more unorganized then. You had three and four teams declaring themselves champions. This is how Alabama somehow gets to claim 13. Tennessee has more or less than six depending on who you ask. It is stupid.

I'll start taking the national championship seriously when the BCS is dissolved and a playoff system is put in.

5. XO

XO Nevada Native

Titles mean something in the modern BCS era? Seriously? We are combining opinion polls and feeding them into a computer. Then they play an exhibition game based on the results.

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Well that's all we have. What else you want to base it on?
    Number of wins a school has doesn't mean that much, when some schools play easier schedules in weak conferences.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. I hate the BCS...but like Hoffa said, it's all we have. I'd kill for an 8 or 16 team playoff but it's not going to happen.

8. Alex1939

Actually with the exception of 2004 it's been an excellent system. Forget your junk about opinion polls and computers and think about it like this.

Criteria 1) Go undefeated in a major conference automatic bid to National Championship Game.

The years there are no undefeated teams, the SEC teams are being recognized over other division teams with equal number of losses. Works for me.

And at least the BCS gives a title game and some other top matchups. For everyone that complains, do you want to go back to random bowl matchups?

9. XO

XO Nevada Native

No I'd rather move forward to a playoff system. The BCS system does not work and it never has.

Last year is a perfect example.

Put Auburn in one game against TCU. I like TCU's chances. The thing is we will never know.

Just like in 04. Auburn would have given USC a much better game than Oklahoma. We will never know for sure.

Wow I do not think I have met anyone who actually believes in the current system that is shoved down our throats in college football.

Boise State doesn't deserve a chance at playing for a title? They have been undefeated. They have taken down top programs.

Miami and Washington were cheated in 2000.

Oregon and Colorado were hosed in 2001.

USC in 03.

Auburn, Utah and Boise were screwed in 04.

Boise State again in 2006. Louisville (maybe)

2007 Hawaii

2008 Boise State and Utah.

2009 Cincinnati, TCU and Boise State.

This is just the controversy surrounding "championship games". This does not even take in to account how many teams have been screwed out of chances at playing in BCS big money bowl games.

To use the "those teams play a weak schedule" excuse doesn't work anymore. Many of these programs have taken out the Alabamas and Oklahomas of the college football world.

10. Alex1939

Nah, they are not in a major conference therefore they do not count.

Yes, this is the one year it didn't work because there were 3 undefeated teams from major conferences.

To start, I was a college football fan before 1998. Maybe you weren't so you don't know what it was like before then.

I believe it in more than the previous way of determining a college national champion. I believe it in more than a haphazardly thrown together playoff system.

Not if there are undefeated teams from major conferences. IF they want their chance they can move to a major conference.

Nope. If they wanted to be in the title game they should have went undefeated, then they would have had nothing to worry about.

Nope. If they wanted to be in the title game they should have went undefeated, then they would have had nothing to worry about.

Auburn was screwed. Utah and Boise do not play in major conferences therefore they do not count.

Neither played for a major conference. Louisville wants to play for a BCS title, therefore they moved to the shizty major confernce.

If you don't play in a major conference you don't play a real schedule and you don't belong in the discussion unless all the other major conf teams have lost way more games.

Yeah let's focus on the actual national championship here.

In bowl games where let's be honest, those teams don't care as much because they are striving for nat'l titles, not bowl titles.

I will support a playoff system but it needs to be done right. Fix college scheduling. Right now, teams don't even play the same number of games because of conference championship games. I think there needs to be consolidation of conferences and every conference should have a championship game.

Just saying take the top 8 or top 16 based on POLLS and COMPUTERS doesn't really solve your initial problem with the BCS does it? (And the first time UT is f'd because they were 9th instead of 8th I will scream UNFAIR and PHONY at any poorly conceived playoff system. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar