Volek's $1 Million Salary Guaranteed if on Roster Sunday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: QB Billy Volek has put in extra work this week in case he gets the start on Sunday despite indications Kerry Collins will start the game. "I’ve been putting in a lot of extra hours," Volek said. "I came in Tuesday on our day off and broke down some film and got in a lift. I’m putting in extra hours, which I always do. I’m comfortable with the game plan we have, and I’m just ready to get the regular season here." If the Titans intend on using rookie Vince Young during the game Sunday, Volek would be listed as the third-string emergency quarterback Sunday. "I really have no choice," Volek said. "I’ve got to make the best out of what it is. The Tennessee Titans own my rights." If Volek is on the roster Sunday, his $1 million base salary become guaranteed. So far, no offers have been presented to Volek who has a no-trade clause in his contract.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

take all you can

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

this isn't a big deal. Nobody offers anything, so what. How much signing bonus did Collins get?

4. Volek doesn't have a roster bonus. Here is what the article actually says:
    It just means that if the Titans cut him after September 10 then they still have to pay him his salary.

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

that isn't what is said in the original post " The Tennessee Titans own my rights." If Volek is on the roster Sunday, he will gain a $1 million roster bonus."

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Thanks for the correction.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think we will pay him anyways. Besides, there is no guarentee that Collins won't be broken in half before Vince is ready. Also, cutting him not only makes us looks stupid, it makes us look heartless. (which we are) ... however, there is a good chance that someone will want to to business with us before the trade deadline, so if we get another Titans puzzle piece in a week 5 trade, so much the better. His contract is up at the end of this year anyways. (I think) ... it's not like he's got some huge contract that will hurt us and it's not like we don't have cap room or whatever to absorb him... Cutting Volek would be dumb.

Starkiller, where can I find basic terms of the Titans contracts, how long they are, bonuses, cap numbers and the like? Is there a place where the information is broken down in a fairly simplistic manner? Also if there is something that doesn't jive in my post, ie the lenth of his contract, could you clear that up for me?

I understand that there is a good chance he could get cut, but is that really all that beneficial?

8. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

The smart thing would be to cut Collins so he doesn't get his salary guaranteed if he goes down.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Starting Vince Young makes more sense than that.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

that makes less sense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar