Volek vs. Collins (not GATFT)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Jun 30, 2008.

?
  1. Collins

28 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. Volek

29 vote(s)
    50.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

fisher has no obligation to tell fans what's going on inside the locker room

Titans | Volek still unsure why he wasn't given an opportunity - from www.KFFL.com
    Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:07:29 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports former Tennessee Titans QB Billy Volek, traded to the San Diego Chargers Tuesday, Sept. 19, still does not know why the Titans never gave him an opportunity to be the team's starting quarterback. "The funny thing is, to this day, I still don't know why I am not starting (for the Titans)," Volek said. "The only thing that I can think of is I was kind of a scapegoat for the offense, not putting up 40-50 points in the preseason…If you want to point the finger at me, point the finger at me. I am fine with that. But let me know why I am not playing, and that never happened here. No one told me. Yes, I leave with some bitterness. But I am trying to think of the good times."

then fisher reacted with the whole lies speech

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

All he had to do was keep quiet and win his job in camp like everyone else. Much of his bitterness stemmed from the fact they spent they #3 overall pick on a quarterback. He knew it would be a relatively short space of time before Vince Young was the starter. He just couldn't deal with that.

Also, he didn't earn squat. He had a opportunity to earn the starting job but he didn't seem to like the idea of keeping the seat warm for Vince Young. Based on the type reaction Billy had to the situation he really tied the hands of the coaching staff. I feel Volek would have been detrimental to Young's development had he not been dealt away.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Volek didn't earn squat? He EARNED the spot WHILE McNair was still here, but of course they wouldn't sit a guy like Steve for some unknown backup.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

bullcrap. No way the interim starter job is his automatically. He had the inside track, yes, but it was his to win, not claim. Nothing in life comes that easy. The franchise didn't invest a top 10 pick in Billy Volek like they did McNair or Young. Billy Volek isn't Tom Brady. Billy didn't have that kind of weight. Billy needed to pack his lunch box and put on his hardhat and go to work if he was going to be the starter at the beginning of the year. He didn't rise to the occasion. He only showed what weak character he had and left the Titans no choice but to give the job to Collins.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Nope. Nothing is that definitive. Fisher could've chose to work through the drama. That's what Wade Phillips does in Dallas with TO. And I can't imagine Billy Volek, who had never had problems before this, became some unmanageable player. I'm thinking, Volek had a ****ty day, or maybe just couldn't get along with Chow, and lost his cool. Fisher, rather than being the bigger person for the sake of winning games for the organization, reacted in the same fashion as Volek and took the whole matter way too personal.

Volek didn't walk away clean from the situation. But Fisher is the head coach. He's an older man. He should be able to handle these type of conflicts between player and coach. For the sake of the team, make the difficult situation work. At least, I feel that should be his responsibility. Win is the first priority for the coach. I think Fisher's pride led him to a decision that did not give the Titans the best chance to win in the beginning of 2006.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

TO's worth it, a stop gap qb is not. hell, even two different organizations got rid of TO, despite his talent.

7. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

:yes:

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Some of you are very forgiving of a coach that threw away the beginning of the regular season in 2006 because his feelings were hurt.

Me, not so much.

And Volek isn't T.O. My point is, Dallas can handle TO, and he has to be harder to deal with than Volek. Our coach can't even deal with the problems a Billy Volek causes. And would rather lose games than give the team the best chance to win because of it.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

Billy Volek doesn't have enough talent to make waves. If such a small piece of a puzzle rocks the boat the normal course of action is to throw him overboard. Fisher didn't do anything wrong and he doesn't have to accept being dictated to by a chump like Volek. Imagine if Fisher had buckled... which is what you are suggesting he should have done Alex... How is that going to play in the locker room? All of a sudden a bunch of lower tier players feel all empowered... all because of a little ***** like Volek... no thanks... I'd rather sink with Collins. His attitude was right. Attitude is a big part of this game and Volek clearly had one that was not desireable.

and for what it's worth a guy with an attitude like that does not offer the best chance of winning.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

You can put up with a headcase/unstable player at other positions. At QB, you have to be a leader, you have to step into that role and build the confidence of the rest of the team in you. I don't know what went on during offseason workouts and in the locker room that summer, but if Volek wasn't earning the job, then he shouldn't get it. Collins has been fine, the only problem was the short time he had initially to get used to the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar