Volek Picked as one of the "Sleeper" QB's of the yr.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by EZpickin, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

I agree...Billy has had opportunities to go other places, but chose to stay. He's been loyal, has a great attitude, a great work ethic...Now lets just hope that he has enough talent.

2. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

What other opportunities did Billy have? He was a free agent and no one wanted to offer him a starting job so he got the best deal as a back up in Tennessee and stayed. Wow, that is loyalty. Nobody really wanted to give him a shot if I remember correctly.

3. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

I won't flood you with all the press on the subject but here's one. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=212394

His agent also wanted him released a year ago...and Billy told him..no, he didn't want to leave...

Hey, If you don't like him just say so.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If memory serves, Volek had a shot to go to Buffalo and Atlanta. I don't believe Buffalo offered as much as the Titans or Atlanta. The Atlanta deal was supposedly more but he knew he'd spend the rest of his career behind Vick. At least he knew he had a shot to start in Tennessee which ended up working out for him.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Buffalo could have easily worked out for him, but hindsight is 20/20

6. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

Wasn't there talk of the Jets last year or the year before? I am glad he stayed. Although, a year ago, I thought he was stupid for staying. He knew which team he wanted to play for as a starter and stayed loyal. Billy's the kind that doesn't go chasing dollars. Granted that McNair had more to chase. I think that if Volek were in McNair's situation earlier this offseason, he wouldn't have left. I could be wrong and I'm not knockin' on Mac, but Volek seems to keep the love of the game and loyalty to his team as the priority...even over the dreaded "business side." This will probably change by next year. It won't be as much of Volek getting mad and leaving, but the Titans simply discarding him. Then again, Volek could play backup to Young next year. I don't think he would take a demotion if he could find another team offering a starting job. It will be fun to see how Billy works out. Everyone thinks that Mac was the heart of this team and without him, the Titans will not win more than 3 games this year. I disagree. We have too much talent that has come from the winningest teams in the league to help on both sides of the ball. Not to mention the drafted rooks. I think that we will do average this year, but I won't be surprised to see the Titans have an above average season. Later.

7. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

Let me ask a big what if...What if Volek has a great season...I think he has one more year on his contract( after 2006)

Lets say, in 2007, VY is ready too...What happens?

8. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

vy plays when he is ready and we get a great rade value for volek.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Is there an option we could extend, or are we in that year?

I'm behind Billy, as everyone should be. I mean, his is starting, and maybe being the starter will make him bring some extra toughness, and maybe more importantly for him, better awareness. He might hang in there. Unlike Steve, I think he has a pretty good advantage with the receivers. It'll be his protection that's the question, but I think that will be a highly motivated unit of up front. Finally, Billy should have a great complement of running backs, tight ends and H-backs. They just have to find their balance. But like I said, his chemistry with the receivers hopefully will allow him to stretch the field where Steve could not. If you think about how much practice time and snaps he's gotten with Bennett, Givens, Calico, Roby, Williams and Wade, that's pretty substantial. He should have a good feel for all of them and a growing feel for Givens, especially by the end of camp. This could be the big difference in what we see on the field this season. I'd really like to see us keep some defenses reeling for a change.

10. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

I have love and respect for Billy...I've gone back and watched some of the games he played...He really did play well...at times. And, I do believe that being a starter, changes the mindset of the whole team toward him.

As much as it pains me...I agree with para...no matter what...the best he can hope for is a good season that ends up with him being traded to another team. So, I hope, for all of us, he does great. GO TITANS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar