Volek......a teacher?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Just thought about this. With McNair gone, it would be up to Volek to mentor our new QB. I'm thinking this is not good. Mr. I-can-throw-one-hell-of-a-bomb-but-not-much-else, might not be the perfect person for that job.

2. That was my argument in the past. But I don't think so now.

Really, it will be the job of the coaches to teach whichever rookie QB we get.

3. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

It will be Craig Johnson and Norm Chow's job to teach any new QB. I think they're capable

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Exactly. What you hope is the rookie can learn some solid habits by watching the starter. How he works practice. How he is in the film room. Game prep, etc. The old "leading by example" way of teaching.

McNair may not be the best candidate for any QB to learn under unless he stays healthy enough to practice and gets this bad taste from his mouth he probably has right now over the contract mess. McNair is a competitor on game day but may not have the work habits you want copied by a young guy.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Exactly. With McNair gone we will not have anyone to demonstrate to the rookie QB how to miss practices or how to turn their nose on young recievers. As Jeff said, add in the contract mess and it looks like McNair isn't a good choice anyway.

6. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Exactly, and by those criteria, Billy Volek would be a lot better for a young guy to learn from.

You know who else would be good for a young QB to learn by example from? :winker:

[​IMG]

7. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

Maybe we can bring back Chris Chandler...:ha: or, uh anybody remember Bucky Richardson and Billy Joe Tolliver (Oiler days..after Warren Moon, before Steve):brow:

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat please...

turn their nose on young recievers.
    -------------------

Is that a joke? 1st and second year players caught 158 balls in 2005! 5 seperate 1st and second year players caught 21 balls or more. Simply not true!

Why do people continue to hold such moronic ideas?

9. maximus

maximus Starter

The Titans actually played against Billy Joe in the 1999 season when he was a QB for the New Orleans Saints

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcnair turns nose up to young receivers?

Actually 1st and 2nd year players caught 169 balls because i didn't include catches made by payton, nash and guenther.

WR and TE caught a total of 296 balls. 160 of those were by rookie or 2nd year players. That's 54%. How could mcnair be turning his nose at young receivers when they accounted for more than half the catches?

Can we put this moronic myth to bed? Finally?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar