Vince Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by OswegoTitan41, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Vince leads a charmed life. Let's remember that if Lendale gets that one yard on 4th down, Texas never sees the ball again and the game is over. No heroic comeback, and maybe no #3 pick.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

I'm as skeptical as anyone of a "running QB", and I don't much care for the idea of calling the QB's number more than once or twice a game....hopefully even less.

That said, I'd rather see VY scramble for 6 yards and run out of bounds, as opposed to forcing a pass into coverage or taking a sack. Ultimately, I think this is where VY's mobility will be most valuable.

Over the course of a game, virtually every QB has 8-10 occasions where he has nowhere to go with the ball; most QB's will either throw it away, or scramble for maybe 2-3 yards.

Vince's athleticism gives him the ability to take those situations and turn nothing into something....possibly even something big.

As long as he avoids taking the big hits, I have no problem with him running out of the pocket a half-dozen times per game....especially since it usually means a first down or more. He just needs to understand that his well-being is more important than any first down or TD.

Fortunately, I think he's already figured this out. He took some big hits early in the season (at San Diego and Washington, in particular), but as the season wore on, he discovered the value of sliding, or running out of bounds.

As long as he doesn't rely too much on his legs (a la Vick) or take any unreasonable risks, I say go ahead.....make something happen.

3. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

What amazes me is how far he gets every time. It seems like he's run a few yards, but it will turn out to be 10. His long stride is incredibly deceptive.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Sec 139

Wanted Cutler, still would rather have him. I think Vince got a lot more media hype for wins than he deserved. He made some incredable plays late in games, but the performance of the O line and Henry carried the team. I knew Vince would struggle as a passer...and lets be honest...he was a bad passer...dead last in QB rating as a QB. Yes, I know he is a great runner but that wont get the team to where it needs to be, the SB. He will adjust and progress as a passer, but I still believe Cutler was the guy and the NFL will see it in the upcoming season.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:what:

Troupe, Scaife, Chris Henry, and Lendale are our top scorers inside the 10 this season.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I like the guy and I think he is a great player. I just want to see how he plays this year. There are still alot of questions about him.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I was in favor of drafting Cutler as well and I do think the guy will be a heck of an NFL QB. However, after seeing things like the winning TD in overtime against the Texans I'm a believer. At first I wasn't sure if his running ability would translate so well in the NFL but the guy is simply a phenom in the open field and as far as I'm concerned anytime he has room to run he needs to take off (find the tapes of all his runs like the one against the Pats). As far as his passing ability I was also surprised at how well he can throw the ball because he was better than I expected. When he starts to read defenses better and make better decisions he will be OK. VY as an average passing QB with his running ability can be an awesome QB. He might not ever put up Manning type passing numbers but he doesn't have to to e very effective in moving the offense and scoring TDs. I wouldn't doubt VY gets close to or exceeds 1000 yards rushing some years and his ability in the red zone is a huge plus. The guy could turn into a the best fantasy QBs in the league with the combo of passing and running TDs he could be involved in.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I have to say I'm pretty shocked at his running ability in the NFL... I didn't think it would translate that well. The kicker for me was seeing him tear through the Indy defense - yea, they can't tackle, but they are maybe the fastest D in the league and no one even got close enough to miss him. He left good players flat-footed looking like high schoolers. I gotta agree with you on this one, Soxcat. Vince probably won't become an elite "passer", but he should be efficient enough to have a solid offense - his numbers on average were awful last year, but every month he improved and he's generally making pretty good decisions. His throwing motion turned out to be a non-issue, and you're right - as the game slows down for him he'll find a nice groove.

I like Cutler, and I think he's going to have a very good year in Denver - great place for him to land. Possibly will turn out to be a better passer than Young, but if Vince can just get the job done and limit the mistakes I'll still take him over most other QBs. It's just so hard to find a guy that can keep his head and not lose the game for you when a play breaks down... Vince actually seems to elevate his play when that happens. That talent alone will win at least 2 or maybe 3 games a year, and if we can ever get back in the playoffs that's the kind of guy I want at the helm.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Guest

there are a few. why worry though?

they are pretty efficient at crawling into their holes when VY does his thing.

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Cutler is a big, durable QB with a cannon for an arm. He won't win games with his legs, but I think he can endure in the NFL. My fear is that Vince is going to take a shot, and with those long legs be in real trouble in the knee area. I think that is one reason we got Rattay, for insurance. If we had to have a game winning drive, then yes, Vince is the guy, probably better than Cutler in that area, but I still remain doubtful he can avoid injury. Not a knock on him, just a legitimate concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar