vince young vs michael vick

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mike vick vs the mighty afc!

Yes folks those nfc players are small and slow almost retro 1960s type guys. They suck! But the afc ohhh mutant like studs at every position. How could poor little mike vick compete against that?

Very well apparently. He owns the afc!

Vick career starts vs afc teams 2002-2006

9/22 bengals W
    11/3 Ravens W
    11/10 steelers Tie
    12/29 Browns L

12/14 Indy L
    12/28 Fags W

10/17 chargers W
    10/24 Kansas city L
    10/31 Denver W
    12/12 Oakland W

9/25 bills W
    10/24 Jets W
    11/06 Fins W

10/22 Steelers W
    10/29 Bengals W
    11/12 Browns L
    11/19 Ravens L

Yikes! Talk about a myth buster vick's record against the afc is 11-5-1?

Waiting for 2008's next batting practice pitch. Has the ball landed yet?

2. in all honesty and i kno that some of u are giong to disagree with me but i think vince is just as fast and a better runner than vick... his jukes are much better imo also vick just simply tries to run around people for the most part it seems, and vinec is a master and dodging the big hit

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vince's development..

One could argue that vince young doesn't need much more development given how he played the last half of the year. In those last 8 games vince completed 64% of his passes with 7tds and 6ints and his passing rating was 88. If he can just sustain that for a season he's one of the top 5 Qbs in the game.

The problem with the idea of vince improving is that he already does so many things well. It's hard to improve on something you are already good at. Vince already has excellent poise in the pocket. Unlike a young mcnair he doesn't take off running too soon but lets the game come to him. Vince already has a nice feel for when to run and where. Vince is already doing many of the same things mcnair was doing mid career. It's almost as if those first 5 starts were his rookie season and the last 8 his second like he is already a vet. Even his problems with fumbles subsided pretty much in the second half of the year.

In our discussion of top 10 QBs i had vick at #9. Well vince is right there with him. I didn't include vince because i have a rule against including any 1 year starters but vince is already the 9th or 10th best QB and moving up. What i want from him is that he stay healthy and just keep doing what he did in the 2nd half of last year when he led us to a 6-2 record. If he does that he will be an elite QB..

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, here's my wishlist for Vince this year:

1) Stay healthy - when you run, run smart and get to the sidelines or get down and avoid unnecessary hits. TitanKid... I do agree that VY is a great runner, and very deceptive sometimes... doesn't look like he's putting on a big move or really moving very fast, but he seems to be able to freeze very good safeties and linebackers, and outran a very fast Indy defense (twice). Maybe it is just perception that Vick is a better runner...

2) Read the defense, and make good decisions - He's got the physical skills, and I believe he's got a very good football mind to be able read defenses... but that's a skill that takes years of constant hard work to master and to get the rest of your team on the same page with you.

3) Addendum to #2 - I actually like a lot of the decisions Vince made on the field last year, but now that he knows what to do and how to do it, he needs to hone in on the timing. He can already make the throws he needs to the right people, and just needs to do that all at the exact right time. A lot of good passes were a hair too late last year - totally expected for a rook. If he can make those same throws a little more instinctively, the interceptions will be down and completions will be way up.

As for Vick - we'll see how the new system works for him in ATL. He might be another candidate like David Carr, who I think is still a great QB who got stuck in the wrong system. I'd like to see how Vick does in an offense with more of a power running game. Some place like maybe Washington or Jacksonville, where it's not so easy to load up on the coverage and assign a spy to the QB. I think if he were allowed to play QB, he'd really thrive. He could still run when he wanted, but he wouldn't be forced to run all the time and could develop a rhythm with his receivers.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

IMO, VY's greatest strength as a runner is his ability to "freeze" the secondary with the threat of passing when he leaves the pocket AND his ability to visualize and direct his own down-field blocking. He is a master at that already. He is deceptively fast, but he runs high and keeps his weight centered- characteristics that are not as athletic as other talented runners.

I believe he will end his career being regarded as one of the top 5 all time "running" QB's.

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I agree... I see his running style as a cross between Vick/McNair and Steve Young/Elway... a better pure runner than Young/Elway, but more reserved and intentional in his decisions than Vick/McNair. I'll shut up about it now, but that's why I like the Steve Young comparison to VY better than other QBs - he ran a lot and scored a ton of TDs with his legs, but only did it when it was so obviously there. He used his arm to force you to play the pass and when you bit he'd put it down and go.

I love watching Vince direct his blocks, though... he makes it seem like it's a walk-through drill. Very calm and analytical. Funny enough that's why I also think he'll be a very good passer.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I would love to use this as an avatar for the summer. could you possibly reformat it to run on the server here?

8. dude ryan can do anything on the comp, that kid is crazy

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

That's nice, but I made that point a page ago and you ripped it. You lose all rights to change your mind at this point.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar